IGNORED

1978 280Z Radio KMS-2411Z

ea6driver

Please see attached photos....Many years ago I purchased this NIB radio to eventually install in my 78Z.  At the time I purchased it, I thought that it was the original factory radio for a 78Z.  I came to this conclusion by simply observing that, visually, it was identical to the original radio that came with my 78Z. My original equipment radio works, sorta, but has "issues".

However, recently, I noticed that box label on this replacement radio states "KMS-2511Z" and "280ZX Coupe".  The original radio is labeled "KMS-2411Z".

I found this curious mainly because my understanding was that the radios in the ZX models beginning in 79 had a completely different (new? updated?) radio system installed. In other words, I didn't think that this style of radio was installed in any of the ZX models.

So my question is...what is the difference between this NIB radio (KMS-2511Z) and my original radio (KMS-2411Z)?  Is there any reason to believe that this radio won't work perfectly in my 78Z? An internet search didn't come up with any useful information on the KMS-2511Z radio.  Thanks!

IMG_5881.JPG

IMG_5882.JPG

IMG_5883.JPG

Thanks siteunseen...i did see that post, but i think the original poster is incorrect in saying that the KMS-2511z is original equipment for the 73-76 Z cars. To my knowledge, none of those year models came with stereo radios from the factory. And I agree...it seems that the ZX radio set up did include cassette players.

I'm sure you'd agree that it is curious that the box states "280ZX Coupe"

Edited by ea6driver
  • Like 1

I think we're saying that it's possible (maybe even likely?) that the original Datsun box is labeled wrong.  However, it still doesn't answer the question of what year model(s) Z/ZX's the Hitachi KMS-2511Z  radio was installed in. I'm fairly certain that the KMS-2411Z radio was installed in the 77 and 78 year model Zs.  And it seems likely that a radio model numbered 2511Z would be an update/followon to the 2411Z model number. I guess I was hoping that a forum member might have some first hand experience with the 2511Z model radio.

11 hours ago, siteunseen said:

No sir. There's 4 time zones. I'm #2 from the right coast.

united-states-time-zone-map.gif

I used a Sharpie and put you in the Eastern zone.

Just wondered if you saw some tornadoes.  The news showed real houses getting hit instead of the usual trailer parks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very interesting...I just found this radio for sale on eBay. It's a NIB Hitachi KMS-2411Z.  Note that the box is labeled "280Z Coupe" and the part number is one digit off from the part number listed on my box (99993-00137 vs 99993-00147)...so, here's what we have:

KMS-2411Z......280Z Coupe....99993-00137....Original factory radio installed in the 78Z (and possibly/likely the 77Z)

KMS-2511Z.....280ZX Coupe..99993-00147...Unknown application/year model

Visually, the two radios appear to be identical...and we are not aware of any models of the ZX that utilized this style of radio.

s-l1600-3.jpg