IGNORED

1980 280ZX 10 anniversary car, red black

I joined here because I have the opportunity to purchase my first ever Z car.  It’s a 1980 10 anniversary car in red and black with a red interior.  It has 35,000 miles on it and has been sitting in a garage for about the past 11 years.  I haven’t had a chance to see the car yet but from the few pictures I’ve seen it looks very solid.  The car has never been hit or rusted out, tee tops with a manual transmission.  I already know they only made 500 in red black.  My question is what is the car worth approximately, running and driving down the road?  And what is it approximately worth sitting in a garage about 4 hours each way from me?  Sincere replies would be very welcome.  I want a good deal but also fair to the seller. Thanks.  

I tried to log in at Hagerty and look but was unsuccessful. I would start there. You could also look at completed Ebay auctions to see what similar cars are actually selling for. I suspect the upcharge for the special edition is not exorbitant so other similar condition cars should be a good reference point

12 hours ago, pfsteichen@comcast.net said:

The car has never been hit or rusted out, tee tops with a manual transmission

These cars are on the rise, as s30 cars (240/260z) are getting expensive. A good to restore car can cost 5-10 and a restored is starting at 30 grand i think? But it is very difficut to value them as they are much more complicated cars as the simple 240z.. (only the electrics are a 3 fold of the s30 car..)

I got in my lifetime 2 280zx t-bars and... i don't want them.. why.. the t-bar makes the car much to flexible!  I restored (ON HERE) a 280zx slick roof and they are much firmer.  Al my cars were 2+2's as i don't fit with my 6 foot 4 in a 2 seater.. (seats are much different and to high.. i hit my head)

Also get pics of the beams under the car, most of them have been molested on a 2 column lift..  A good chassis can be lifted with it on the 4 spots were you normally put your scissorjack, if thats not possible you better stay away from that car!  (The inside layer in the outer beams.. (you call it the doglegs??)  who are made of tripple sheet of steel are rusted away... you can't see them. (only with a endoscopecamera, there are holes in the inner sheet of steel behind the upholstery..)

16 hours ago, pfsteichen@comcast.net said:

I joined here because I have the opportunity to purchase my first ever Z car.  It’s a 1980 10 anniversary car in red and black with a red interior.  It has 35,000 miles on it and has been sitting in a garage for about the past 11 years.  I haven’t had a chance to see the car yet but from the few pictures I’ve seen it looks very solid.  The car has never been hit or rusted out, tee tops with a manual transmission.  I already know they only made 500 in red black.  My question is what is the car worth approximately, running and driving down the road?  And what is it approximately worth sitting in a garage about 4 hours each way from me?  Sincere replies would be very welcome.  I want a good deal but also fair to the seller. Thanks.  

PM sent.

Thanks for all of the great replies. 

To Racer X:  I didn't post any pictures because they all show the license plate and I'm just a little paranoid of someone maybe end running me on this barn find.  Honestly I've been dreaming about a barn find for 20 years. 

Patcon:  I haven't tried Ebay but I think that is a good suggestion.  I think https://bringatrailer.com/    then look in the results section is an excellent site.  What I've finding out so far is that the red black is pretty rare and it does add value over the more typical cars. 

To Siteunseen: You suggest maybe 30,000, I assume that is after a mechanical restoration, running and driving safely down the road, correct?  

dutchzcarguy: I've been talking with a restorer in town here who seems very legitimate.  He said a mechanical restoration only would be about 7K.  After that if it's really nice low miles as is represented by the seller it would be worth over 25K. Sitting as is he thinks it's worth about 15K.  When I was younger I wanted to be a basketball player but stopped growing at 5 foot 7inches and I think what you wrote might be the first time I ever felt good about it.  

I be be back with an update, thanks again everyone, car people really are some of the best.

51 minutes ago, pfsteichen@comcast.net said:

To Siteunseen: You suggest maybe 30,000, I assume that is after a mechanical restoration, running and driving safely down the road, correct?  

Yes, I realize I should have stated that in my original post. $15, 000 would be fair if it's in good shape. From briefly reading earlier, that seems to be one of the rarest Zs there is. I've never seen one other than on the internet.

Best of luck.

• 1 month later...

Well I bought this yesterday.  A 1980 in original paint with mint wheels 74,000 miles last on the road in 2012.  Very nice interior with some minor needs.  The car appears to have been loved and garaged it's whole life.  I can't be sure but I think it was under coated at the dealer.  Pin stripes and anniversary decals are still very nice.  A few door dings, scratches, and minor paint chips.

20210502_163530.jpg

20210502_165429.jpg

Edited by pfsteichen@comcast.net
  • Like 3