IGNORED

Cam Sprocket Position

Jughead

Update:  Timing cover removed and awaiting kit. 

Anybody know how to diagnose a chain tensioner?  What else should I be on the lookout for in scouting for issues related to loose chain or bad liming?

@Patcon:  Interesting theory, about low oil pressure.  I get good reading on the dashboard gauge.  Is low oil pressure a known or common cause of loose chains?  

7 hours ago, Jughead said:

Update:  Timing cover removed and awaiting kit. 

Anybody know how to diagnose a chain tensioner?  What else should I be on the lookout for in scouting for issues related to loose chain or bad liming?

@Patcon:  Interesting theory, about low oil pressure.  I get good reading on the dashboard gauge.  Is low oil pressure a known or common cause of loose chains?  

Pics?

Update:  Waiting for parts to complete timing chain. 

In the meantime, Questions for the experts:

1)      The slot in the oil pump where the disti/oil pump drive shaft fits looks (to me) to be a rather wide gap.  It seems to be causing uneven wear on the the blade of the shaft.  I have a new shaft.  Should I also replace my oil pump? 

2)      My crank shaft key seems to be a little beat up (see pic).  I think it’s OK, but what ‘s the rule of thumb for know whether it needs replacing?  (I could see this potential causing a timing issue if worn…)

3)      Timing seems straight forward. Any “gothchas” I should be aware of that aren’t in the manuals?

a.       Both shaft keys up

b.       Bright chain links aligned to time marks on right side of sprockets

c.       I’m replacing chain, guides and tensioner.  Sprockets look fine.

d.       Disti shaft blade @ 11:25, small side to front

4)      Anything else I’m forgetting?

Front 1.jpg

Oil Pump 1.jpg

Oil Pump 2.jpg

Oil Pump 3.jpg

Crank Key 1.jpg

Crank Key 2.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 12/22/2021 at 11:09 AM, Jughead said:

Anyway, the engine looks and runs great now,  and although I'm thoroughly embarrassed, I'm also extremely happy to have the Z on the road!  Thanks to everyone who pitched in to help

Although I didn't comment as I followed this thread for months, it seams like you have picked up a bunch of basic knowledge pertaining to you car.  Good on you!  Did you have any problems reinstalling the timing cover, in particular it's gasket, due to not removing your oil pan?  Also, your "under hood" and engine area is looking good.

• 4 weeks later...

@mayolivesThanks!  The oil pan gasket got jostled a bit on my second attempt at installing the front cover.  (I broke a cover bolt the first attempt.)  So far no leaking,  but I'll probably replace the pan gasket at some point anyway.  Right now I'm working on getting my choke cables adjusted...   Here's an engin pic from the other side (couldn't help myself).

Eng Pass.png