IGNORED

Can Anyone Identify This Part?

Datsun7

Looking for some assistance on identifying this part under the hood of my 1977 280z. It mounts on the same bracket as the voltage regulator on the driver side wheel well.. The original fault was my door buzzer stayed on constant. Then heard a strange hum under the hood. Tracked it down to this guy. Tapped lightly with a hammer and it fixed it for short period of time. It continues to be an issue so need to replace. No cue what this is?!?!?! LOL!  Thanks for any help!!!

Jeff

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

Zcarsource.com looks like they have them but they want a lot of money for them. And they are used!

Check to see if it can be taken apart. Could be a set of contacts that just need to be cleaned.

Assuming it is failing and not something else.

Edited by rcb280z
more info
  • Like 1

Thanks all of you that have replied. Now I just need to find one!!!  LOL!

Can always count on the great people of this forum to help out!!!  Hopefully one day I might be able to return the favor or two 🙂

Where on the car is it mounted. I frequent 280z’s in salvage yards all the time and next time I can take a look for you . It might be a 6-8 weeks before I go back. I’ll put it on my list but let me know if you buy one somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like it's just a run-of-the-mill relay.  Three wires.  Any common relay could be wired in.  You can take the factory relays apart also.  You might find that it can be cleaned up and function restored.

• Like 1

If you are not concerned about keeping it original, than you can use any stanard relay.

The relay isceasy enough to test to see if it is working properly.

If you look for one in a junkyard, you will need the model 280Z up to August 77.

After August they changed the relay connector plug to a rectangular 4-pin connector. It does the same thing, but it has two power supply wires were the early version with round connector has one power wire and it is bridged to the relay coil internally. I hope that makes sense...

Screenshot_20210315-220038.jpg

• Like 1

Update-  First... wanted to say thanks again to all that replied!!!  You steered me in the right direction! I decided to take it apart based on someone suggestion. It had a single contactor inside. I was able to clean the two contact points and seems to be working fine now. Dont you love 70's technology!!!!!  Seriously, thanks again to all! Jeff

• Like 2