IGNORED

Tuning With An Air/Fuel Gauge

chaseincats

8 hours ago, chaseincats said:

It seems that plug doesn't fit my head.  Amazon and O'reilly's site says its not compatible with the car.  Does that make sense to anyone?

Based on what data? Are they comparing against stock specs and covering themselves without really looking into it? I've run both 7 and 6 on mine without issue. Again, referring back to the size chart above, the two key dimensions are: "B" - the size of the plug / thread pitch and "E" the reach / protrusion into the combustion chamber. As long as those are correct, they will fit, the rest is just variations around the edges for it's function etc. 

They are cheap enough, so if postage isn't nuts, why not just purchase one and compare / try it on the car to put your mind at rest. Then when you are happy, you can order 5 more 😉

Edited by AK260

8 hours ago, chaseincats said:

It seems that plug doesn't fit my head.  Amazon and O'reilly's site says its not compatible with the car.  Does that make sense to anyone?

The compatibility charts are designed for stock replacement. They don't account for things like using a hotter or colder plug. Amazon gives the incompatibility warning when I look for H4 headlight housings for a Z car. However, I can assure you that H4 housings worked in all of the Z cars I have installed them in.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AK260 said:

Based on what data? Are they comparing against stock specs and covering themselves without really looking into it? I've run both 7 and 6 on mine without issue. Again, referring back to the size chart above, the two key dimensions are: "B" - the size of the plug / thread pitch and "E" the reach / protrusion into the combustion chamber. As long as those are correct, they will fit, the rest is just variations around the edges for it's function etc. 

They are cheap enough, so if postage isn't nuts, why not just purchase one and compare / try it on the car to put your mind at rest. Then when you are happy, you can order 5 more 😉

Is the head thread pitch/thread length identical for all s30 heads?  If they are different, then my guess is that would be the cause.

Regarding NGK plug part numbers I found the bpr6 to be 7133 and the bpr7 to be 5534.  Just putting this in here in case people look for those NGK part numbers in the future.

• Like 2

Looks like we have something mechanical/unrelated causing all of this - I'll make a separate thread

EDIT: As a heads up for those reading this thread to tune your cars, the problem ended up being unrelated to the tuning and was instead an issue with cylinder 1's injector connector.  The thread where this was solved is titled "Sudden Running Lean Issue" if this happens to you.

Edited by chaseincats