IGNORED

Electric fuel pumps

AK260

I would avoid the `carter p4070` model in particular if you like to not hear the pump. I think anything in a similar style will give you the same problem I have, which is LOADS of cabin noise, i cant figure out how to dampen it. However I've used it since i got the car, never had an issue with it, so its reliability is nice.

I like the Facet one, I would opt for that for easier install with the OEM bracket for the electronic fuel pumps.

Iif that is also noisy then something like the Rx7 one you posted should work, my buddy uses one similar in his classic mini and his buyeye sprite, I never notice the noise they make.

• Like 1

Right then chaps and chapesses (the latter clearly referring to Captain Obvious - the big tart playing with his shiny bits)!

I took apart the Aussie pump I bought at a vast expense a few years back - this was the one that I thought had initially failed and swapped out for the original one on the side of the road. The diaphragm is utterly perfect and frankly I was impressed by the quality / thickness of it. The valves seal and release well and I can’t blow or suck through them in the wrong direction

I gave it a suck and blow test with the vacuum gauge: it’s pulling 5-8 inhg and pushing 2.5-5 psi depending on how gently or vigorously it’s stroked. Here’s a video of the test in case anyone is interested in how well the mech pump, can blow ...

(Forgive the staccato speech, weeks of insomnia is finally getting to me!)

So it seems I need to turn my attention to a fuel blockage. I am getting black fish swimming around inside the filter and given that I replaced the fuel lines for alu with only 20cm of fresh rubber used, I am strongly leaning toward the POR15 treatment letting go. Some of it wasn’t flushed out properly by the PO and I wonder if there are lumps that aren’t fully set coming though? See the area where the float is sitting. You can see a black “eel” next to it before I flushed the tank. Also you can see a crater where the POR treatment wasn’t properly flushed out and has set.

07955c16799b472b7e54cb57c41c161b.plist&key=15090d478896ffe312371eb1caa643532cf36bebb486d0942efe711b9fafe1b4

I would like to point out the soldierly self restraint exercised on a post so rife with innuendos! (“Oh matron!” You have to be old enough to know where that comes from)!
  • Haha 1

In my early 74 there was a small perforated can that was over the end of the pickup tube.  It dislodged when I was rattling bolts around in the tank to remove as much crud out of the tank as possible...  I suppose it could have come off of something other than the pickup - I was assuming it came off of the pickup.  I wish I had saved it so I could post a picture.

Edited by GGRIII
clarification

I found a reference to a 76 fuel tank that describes a fine mesh screen around the base of the canister that the pickup and return line are in.  I thought that the 240Z inlet lines had a metal "sock" on the end of the line.  Basically like a metal fishnet.  Can't find any cut open 240Z pictures though.

https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/96315-por-15-fuel-tank-repair-question/?do=findComment&comment=910896

I guess the take away is that I think there have been more than one person that has had 'fuel pump' issues that may indeed have been restricted pickup tube issues... Easy thing to check.  The next pump I was going to try is a Carter P90091 or P60430.  Any thoughts on this style on pump?

Anybody want a Holly Red? If I find something else, anybody want a Carter P4070? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GGRIII said:If I find something else, anybody want a Carter P4070? 

There are two of those on my race car, my Dodge Ram has a version of the Carter pump to send fuel to the injector pump (Cummins diesel), and  I built a fuel transfer cart that has a Carter pump.

Mount them with rubber isolators and the noise is much lower.

• Like 1

The carter 4070 in my car heard me talking trash about it and decided to blow a fuse on the way home from getting coffee. No idea why it would do that, first time its happened. Luckily i found a fuse buried under the carpets, good think i dont clean eh?

In all seriousness it was SO much more quiet in the cabin after the pump died, almost makes me want to get a replace it. @Racer X what rubber isolaters? the small ones that come with it, happen to have a picture of the setup?

Edited by heyitsrama
  • Like 1

The carter 4070 in my car heard me talking trash about it and decided to blow a fuse on the way home from getting coffee. No idea why it would do that, first time its happened. Luckily i found a fuse buried under the carpets, good think i dont clean eh?
In all seriousness it was SO much more quiet in the cabin after the pump died, almost makes me want to get a replace it. [mention=31874]Racer X[/mention] what rubber isolaters? the small ones that come with it, happen to have a picture of the setup?

Gosh! Sorry to hear that, but at least it proved a point. ;)

At present I’m planning on swapping the feed and return lines over at the tank end to prove it’s the pickup that’s my issue.

However, when / if I do an elec pump, I am planning to ditch the stock bracket designed for the job and make my own anechoic chamber for it - read, metal “box” with screw on lid, lined with 10mm closed cell foam sound insulation and rubber isolation feet like these ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Shock-Absorber-Rubber-Vibration-Isolator-Silentblock-Mounts-M6x20x15mm-/383835310627?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

182203cda2a7fe366ef591c9e5bbfe55.jpg&key=5532a18440cee672096358de995e804c838685b026ba8465d0dcb355e539a9b3

I truly despise noisy fuel pump sounds!!!!
  • Like 1