IGNORED

Restoration of HLS30-12070

CW240Z72

1 hour ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Nice work!!! where did you source the foam?

JDM Car Parts has the foam. Fit was great. I’d give them more props for all the parts I’ve purchased, but the owner was extremely rude to me and I no longer do business with them.  

• Sad 2

22 minutes ago, CW240Z72 said:

JDM Car Parts has the foam. Fit was great. I’d give them more props for all the parts I’ve purchased, but the owner was extremely rude to me and I no longer do business with them.  

Another possible source is Motorsport Auto.  https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic08f03/40-2691

I have read that there are two manufacturers of replacement foam.  I confirmed with the person I spoke with at Motorsport Auto that the version they sold me was made (or sold) by Distinctive Industries, makers of a good quality replacement re-upholstery seat kit also.  You want to be sure to use both the seat kit and foam from the same manufacturer to avoid issues with fit.  I believe the other manufacturer is "Seatz".

Edited by inline6

13 minutes ago, inline6 said:

Another possible source is Motorsport Auto.  https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic08f03/40-2691

I have read that there are two manufacturers of replacement foam.  I confirmed with the person I spoke with at Motorsport Auto that the version they sold me was made (or sold) by Distinctive Industries, makers of a good quality replacement re-upholstery seat kit also.  You want to be sure to use both the seat kit and foam from the same manufacturer to avoid issues with fit.  I believe the other manufacturer is "Seatz".

I bought both sets of seat foam from Banzai Motorworks and both sets of seat covers from Black Dragon. I don't know if the covers and foam came from different manufacturers, but I didn't have any real problems. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Side project I’ve been working on during the dash rebuild on the Z is upgrading the original fuse box. I went ahead and ordered the blade style of fuse box offered through MSA. This upgrade as been discussed in other threads on this forum, one topic being the connectors used on the new fuse box. Looks like apart from the bullet style connectors used, I’ll end up having to swap out the other ones for the correct ones used originally on the car. The 6 pin plugs use the latching style of connection. Fortunately Vintage Connections offers the correct non-latching connectors to mate up to the existing harness. Not a huge deal, but details like that would drive me nuts. They also offer the correct blade style connectors needed to swap out the two crimp-on connectors also supplied with the new fuse box.

240Z Fuse Box.JPG

The other topic discussed about this fuse box is the fact that it’s physically larger than the original unit, so much so that the factory cover will not fit over the box. Again, not a huge deal, but I want to make any update on the Z to look as factory as possible. As an attempt to fix this, I modeled up an adapter plate that can be used to mount the original cover to the new fuse box. The idea being I could use mount the adapter to the new box through the mounting screws, and then snap the original lid to it just as the factory did. It will take a few iterations of tweaking the part, but with a personal 3D printer updates are easy to test. I’ll report back once/if I get a design that I’m happy with.

240Z Fuse Box Adapter 2.JPG

• Like 4