IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Question for Carl Beck - have you ever seen or heard of a Nissan service department grinding numbers off of a block and replacing them with fake numbers to match the cars ID plate?  @Carl Beck

image.png

Given the stiff fines and prison time associated with Fraud and all the EPA Regulations in the automotive business even at the time - No Authorized New Car Dealer would ever mess with Federally Required numbers on a motor vehicle. 

I think the issue was addressed when the Seller Posted the block casting numbers. It would appear from the final sale price - matching vs non-matching numbers is about a $5K delta on a Driver quality 240Z today. It will be interesting to see what the Red 73 with L28 and other upgrades sells for tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Is the engine serial number an EPA issue?  They got rid of the number on the ID plate in 1978. 

It's kind of funny, but the engine number focus might have made people overlook the other history of the car from myhotcars.com.  Bumpers and wheels changed, odd exhaust system hangers.  Too bad he didn't have the 36 years of paperwork.  Wonder what happened to it.

Here's the red one.  Looks like the seller might be another car dealer, choicedealsnc2017.  That was the other thing about the green car - the seller is a professional car salesman and has sold many Z's.  His indignation seemed a bit much.  He passes himself off as an expert, an aficionado.  He should have been the one pointing things out.

Anyway, red car - 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-datsun-240z-174/

Edited by Zed Head

21 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Is the engine serial number an EPA issue?  They got rid of the number on the ID plate in 1978. 

My bad wording...  should have said all the EPA, DOT and other Federal Regulations.  Associating component parts of a motor vehicle with its VIN was,  AIR a DOT regulation. It was intended to lower the number of stolen cars that were being taken for their parts to be resold. I'm sure it was pushed by the Insurance Companies and welcomed by the Police. At first GM stamped the actual chassis serial number of the vehicle on the engine blocks - that was were the term "matching numbers" originated back in the 60's. Car manufacturers started stamping the VIN on places on the frame and in some cases hidden in other places (with only Law Enforcement agencies given the location of the hidden VIN's) - so if the visible Dash VIN was changed.. the real VIN could be found in other places on the vehicle.   I have no idea what changes in the laws took place in the later 70's...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Has anyone seen an oil pan like this before?  Side hole.  (Looks like T/C rod washers are on backward...don't tell anyone).

image.png

That pan has the sump all the way to the rear. I have about 15 L series engines, L24 and L28, all removed from Z cars, all have the sump towards the middle, with the drain at the rear center.

3 hours ago, CoolRanchLuke said:

The description is hard to read.  Very clunky and awkward.  Trying too hard I think.  Interior, AC, interior again, more AC, more interior.  

The cabin features seating that is said to have been recovered in black with a matching dashboard, door panels, and replacement carpets. Amenities include ARA air conditioning, a refurbished center console, three-point seat belts, an analog clock, and a push-button AM/FM radio. The air conditioning is said to have been recharged using Enviro-Safe hydrocarbon-based refrigerant, and cracking is noted on the dashboard and is depicted in the photo gallery below.

• Agree 1