Jump to content
lonetreesteve

31K Miles Series I 240Z Up for Auction on BaT - Over $100k on First Day!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Is it the blue one?  Weird that it has 31,000 miles also.  Loaned FROM his personal collection.  TO the Foundation???  For display and business purposes?  It still seems to be there.

Edit - actually I see that some of the cars are PART OF the collection.  Where are the loaned cars, I wonder.

The world of money.  It's a strange place.

image.png

image.png

That one looks nice, haven't seen that one before.  Yes, interesting that it is also at 31K miles.

The 222 car is the old Mike Sage car.  It was one of the 1999 (VZ?) cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, motorman7 said:

That one looks nice, haven't seen that one before.  Yes, interesting that it is also at 31K miles.

The 222 car is the old Mike Sage car.  It was one of the 1999 (VZ?) cars.

1997 maybe.

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Is it the blue one?  Weird that it has 31,000 miles also.  Loaned FROM his personal collection.  TO the Foundation???  For display and business purposes?  It still seems to be there.

Edit - actually I see that some of the cars are PART OF the collection.  Where are the loaned cars, I wonder.

The world of money.  It's a strange place.

image.png

image.png

Here's a link to the auction of this car from 6/7/17. The car sold for only $39,250.00....what a great investment Mike Malamut made! 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-13/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lonetreesteve said:

Here's a link to the auction of this car from 6/7/17. The car sold for only $39,250.00....what a great investment Mike Malamut made! 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-13/

 

Interesting how the internet lets us track the path of things through time now.

It's not really an investment unless he hopes to make a profit reselling it, right?  And it's not a great one until he does.  At least, investing as it's meant in financial terms.  And car collecting "passion" (type from the Malamut web site), and investing aren't really the same thing.  Nothing wrong with either, they're just not the same.

The Malamut collection looks like a really enjoyable business to own and run, that's for sure though.  He gets to do both, make money and collect cars, together.  But other collectors just need to be very aware of the first part.

Edited by Zed Head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, just to sum things up, there's an undisclosed owner who bought the car from Malamut in 2017 and Wob is selling it for him now in 2020.  Does that sound right?  Wonder why today's owner is selling it, and why is it still at the Collection site, after three years.  Just questions.  The paperwork, registration, etc. up to today would be interesting to see.  Seems to end in 2018.  The last few puzzle pieces...

The tags expire this month.  Maybe he doesn't want to pay the fee.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

 

The tags expire this month.  Maybe he doesn't want to pay the fee.

I doubt that is an authentic Nevada plate and registration tag. The plate doesn't look like any ever issued by the Nevada DOL, but rather a novelty plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Racer X said:

I doubt that is an authentic Nevada plate and registration tag. The plate doesn't look like any ever issued by the Nevada DOL, but rather a novelty plate.

Might be a Vintage plate from 2002.  I can't imagine a car collector and auto dealer sticking fake tags on a license plate.  That would be absurd.  Any cop would be all over it as soon as they saw it on the road.

Here's today's.

https://dmvnv.com/platesclassic.htm

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could a Z expert get on there and explain repro parts to these guys?  Lots of dancing around the fact that two of the caps are from eBay.

image.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Might be a Vintage plate from 2002.  I can't imagine a car collector and auto dealer sticking fake tags on a license plate.  That would be absurd.  Any cop would be all over it as soon as they saw it on the road.

Here's today's.

https://dmvnv.com/platesclassic.htm

image.png

image.png

The one on the car for sale is embossed, and has a validation sticker, the classic from the DOL is flat, and has the state outline where the sticker should be. 

Hmmmmm . . . . . . . . . seems inconsistent, but not impossible.

I see the Nevada DOL page that lists the blue plate states:

Vintage


Vehicles 1961 and older may use replica plates in the same colors and design as the plates issued in the year of manufacture.
Please submit original plates if available to ensure the closest match.

So it is possible that someone had the plate made, then submitted it for use on the car.

But being from 70/71 the car isn't old enough.

 

I have year of manufacture on several of my Z's, and here in Washington the registration sticker is not issued or required when a collector car is permanently registered that way. Some guys will get an unused sticker for the year they are using the plate for, or use a reproduction.

One of the cars plates were too far gone to be restorable, but I found a guy who makes reproduction plates using the correct dies, reflective material and colors, so I'm saving for some from him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Racer X said:

The one on the car for sale is embossed, and has a validation sticker, the classic from the DOL is flat, and has the state outline where the sticker should be. 

Edit - Flat plates are actually a thing on the interweb.  http://www.andrewturnbull.net/plates/flat.html

If I read the BAT copy right it says that the car was licensed in Nevada in either 2002 when Malamut got it or in 2017 when the current owner got it.

The world of custom license plates has turned in to a huge business for the states.  Look at all of the choices on just the Nevada web site.  They change them up all the time to keep the market happy.  You can get your favorite university, football team, environmental cause...almost anything that you can think of.  So It would not be a surprise if even last year's plate is different from the 2020 choice.

As far as embossing versus flat - flat plates are cheaper to make.  All of the plates in my part of the country have been flat for several years.  

Wob took the car for a drive on public roads and he is a professional car salesman.  I'm not seeing even a hint that somebody put fake plates on the car, with fake tags.  It would just be too dumb. No offense.

Beside that, it doesn't really have anything to do with selling the car.  Nothing to do with being a 1971 240Z.  It would be pointless.

Edited by Zed Head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found something on the wheels and caps.  There's a lot of info in those pictures.  Pierre did it in 2017.  Picture #324.

Also noticed that it still had the CA license plates, 615 DLK.  The current owner must live in Nevada!  

Edit 4:47 pm  - @lonetreesteve I just saw your comments on the BAT listing about the wheel caps.  Why would Pierre "restore two caps" one way and two another way?  Really looks more like he bought two from one place and either restored or bought two others from another place.  Either didn't notice the difference or didn't say anything about it.  Who knows.  Just odd.  246 has done quite a bit on ID'ing the eBay repro caps and how they're being passed off as real. @240260280

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I found something on the wheels and caps.  There's a lot of info in those pictures.  Pierre did it in 2017.  Picture #324.

Also noticed that it still had the CA license plates, 615 DLK.  The current owner must live in Nevada!  

Edit 4:47 pm  - @lonetreesteve I just saw your comments on the BAT listing about the wheel caps.  Why would Pierre "restore two caps" one way and two another way?  Really looks more like he bought two from one place and either restored or bought two others from another place.  Either didn't notice the difference or didn't say anything about it.  Who knows.  Just odd.  246 has done quite a bit on ID'ing the eBay repro caps and how they're being passed off as real. @240260280

image.png

I really didn't read all the details about this car and never took the time to look at all the pictures, including the picture of Pierre's sales receipt above. All I know is that I got tired of all the posts about the hubcaps and that 2 of them were different than the other 2 and if they were fakes.  I just stated that the 2 hubcaps in question looked real to me and that they were just painted incorrectly.  That's all.  I assume that the set of 4 came probably came from 2 different sources, which would explain the differences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

The tires have dangerous looking deformations in the sidewalls:

 

image.png image.png

 

 

That is actually quite common on tires. Nothing more than where the layers of belts, chords and rubber overlap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Racer X said:

That is actually quite common on tires. Nothing more than where the layers of belts, chords and rubber overlap.

It must be the shiny surface revealing it.  I never saw this before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

It must be the shiny surface revealing it.  I never saw this before?

Most likely the shiny stuff makes it more noticeable.

I remember when tires first started showing up like that, back in the early 1980’s. Tire dressing (Armor All) really makes it stand out. Lots of drivers freaking out about it. The tire manufacturers told everyone not to be concerned about it.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should people feel bad?  Seems like the car was not presented properly.  Shouldn't have been so many questions to be asked.

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird! The high bidder does 1 bid @ $111K and never commented or bid before. Then disappears? Did they know the reserve amount and make a safe bid?

I'll be interested to see if this car shows up somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

Weird! The high bidder does 1 bid @ $111K and never commented or bid before. Then disappears? Did they know the reserve amount and make a safe bid?

I'll be interested to see if this car shows up somewhere else.

Greggers13 bid $110,000, up from $105,000 by dfwelite, and both let themselves get outbid by $1,000.  I think the comments started to stick.

The funny thing now is that, even though it was presented as an untouched survivor, it probably needs to be touched now.  It needs the refresh that people were saying it has already had.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.