IGNORED

31K Miles Series I 240Z Up for Auction on BaT - Over $100k on First Day!

lonetreesteve

I do agree with the reflection comment, but the paint is just off....even the underside.  My 70 Z without dealer undercoating is completely safari gold on the bottom,  no black areas. Just looks wrong 

And the silver painted parts drive me up the wall.

In my opinion,  car was refreshed before storage,  then left to patina/rust.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

Your question is posted, PZR.  Looks like Lstepp4re is having a "non-constructive" moment.

Yes. That was quick!

Well spotted on the carb front Captain Obvious. Let's see what the seller says.

The more you look at the car, the more you see. Which would be fine - most of these cars have 'had a life' and we all have to be pragmatic with this and that - but it clashes with being talked-up as a "250k+++" car.

From what I've seen, very few BaT posts by 'Lstepp4re' seem to be all that constructive. He got it wrong - again - about side stripe kits (he said "aftermarket only") and nobody picked up on it. How is he credited as being any kind of guru?

1 hour ago, HS30-H said:

Well spotted on the carb front Captain Obvious. Let's see what the seller says.

The more you look at the car, the more you see. Which would be fine - most of these cars have 'had a life' and we all have to be pragmatic with this and that - but it clashes with being talked-up as a "250k+++" car.

I saw your note, and thank you for asking for a friend. I guess what we'll see how that is explained. I'm expecting something like... "Thanks for bringing that to our attention. We went back through our records, and saw that many years ago we removed the carbs and sent them out to have them rebuilt by a professional, and those are the carbs he sent back. They are completely compatible with the originals and we simply never noticed the discrepancy."

I'm expecting something like that and if that's the case, the originals are probably long gone. One could substitute a different set of four screw round tops in their place, but they would not be the originals. So I'm expecting Innocent oversight and maybe even come with the offer to include a pair of "like originals" with the car.

I'm fine with any of the cars having had a life too. In fact, I think that's part of the story and can add or subtract value. What bothers me, however, is when it appears that someone is not getting what they think they are getting (and paying for). If the price tag is sized for a beacon of originality and unmolested quality, then the merchandise should reflect that value.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

Brake Booster and master cylinder were also replaced.

Yes, but the difference is they called that out in the auction details. I get that. They're maintenance/wear items and fail over time.  IMHO it would have been better to maintain the originality and rebuild the originals and reinstall, but they replaced instead.

What IS a big deal to me, however, is not bothering to at least spray on a quick coat of semi-gloss black on that booster before they bolted it in. On a car that's being marketed at the level this one is? Naked uncoated brake booster...

Also no mention of work done to the mustache bar, it looks to like it has the newer style bushings without the flanged ends. Also the washers are the newer type. Normally wouldn't need servicing at 31K miles, IMHO.

Capture 2.JPG

Regarding @240260280's mention of the oil pressure sensor, the wiring retainer is also missing. The one that picks up an engine mount bolt.

Capture 3.JPG

• Like 1

'Lstepp4re' seem to be all that constructive. He got it wrong - again - about side stripe kits (he said "aftermarket only")

Is Lstepp4re a member of this group? Do any of you know Lstepp4re or their history?Big time collector? Or a flipper?

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Yes, but the difference is they called that out in the auction details. I get that. They're maintenance/wear items and fail over time.  IMHO it would have been better to maintain the originality and rebuild the originals and reinstall, but they replaced instead.

What IS a big deal to me, however, is not bothering to at least spray on a quick coat of semi-gloss black on that booster before they bolted it in. On a car that's being marketed at the level this one is? Naked uncoated brake booster...

It is more of: 30k and all these things had to be replaced?

The video works now.  Wob spends 8+ minutes looking for overspray.

I'm just fascinated by the thought of bidding 100's of thousands of dollars for something based on pictures and the internet reputation of somebody called Wob.

And there's a new guy, Rodeo, who doesn't get that comments are veiled and innuendo used by the "peanut gallery" because the straightforward ones get flagged as non-constructive.  Good entertainment.  People with extra money arguing about the quality of an old car.  Greggers13 is probably getting nervous.