IGNORED

KUDOs to Ztherapy

7tooZ

I agree with that. Probably the last "good guys" out of state business I'll ever use. I called with a question some years ago and they gave me Mr. Bruce Palmer's personal cell phone number. He answered on the 3rd ring, answered my question/problem and over-nighted new valves at his expense.

A+ Better Business Bureau. :love:

6946B2E5-65A2-4066-94A9-B5E177E35A63.jpegFound some time to work on the rebuild carb install.  Awesome working on clean well adjust parts. They send along a nice set of instructions that I actually read and learned something new: before making any adjustments to balance the carbs disconnect the throttle linkage at the center of the balance tube. Then when done work backwards from there to the gas pedal. if it needs to be adjusted it will be obvious. 
Note line 3: they set float level from the top of the float to the bottom of the cap to .55 in.  
B8BADACB-ECCD-47E9-ADE8-F081B5462F23.jpeg

The rest are a nice reminder of order to balance carbs.

23BE1C4F-8402-49BB-BBD6-207DF81704BD.jpegCB4A40D0-E9FE-42F8-995A-ED6C4E3416E9.jpeg0F07AEAD-6881-4254-B442-8D1A4E2C199B.jpeg

last here is a pix of 20 year old technology. gross jets.6CF40876-6359-4D59-A6CE-09C75D0FB06F.jpeg

Still working after 20 years. Had easy time setting up. 
Balanced at idle (choke and throttle linkage discounted)

balanced at 2000

adjusted the valves

reset timing to 9 degrees BTDC. Max advance to 36 degrees

rechecked balances

added 1/2 turn to both mixture screws to improve smooth idle 

rechecked balances

shorten throttle pedal linkage  ( checked for WOT )

Best $300 of 2020 money I have spent lately . Hope this help someone who is undecided. 

Edited by 7tooZ
Added content
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

What exactly is the Starter fluid test?  What's the procedure and how do you do it, and how do you interpret results?  I'm having a helluva time tuning my carbs.  I sprayed starter fluid on throttle shaft bushings today and it affected idle negatively.  I did both carbs individually and got similar results.  What does this indicated?  THANKS!!

Edited by Jughead
typo

The fact that the starting fluid affected the idle indicates your throttle shafts and or the carb bodies are probably worn and pulling air through the gaps. Before you decide that's the whole problem, describe the trouble you're having. Most SU problems are caused by the wrong float level (the primary mixture adjustment) or the airflow in the carbs not being balanced. There's a few more things that can cause trouble but those are normally caused by extreme wear or abuse. ZTherapy has a great DVD "Just SUs" that goes into SUs in detail.

• Like 1

I own the Z Therapy Tune up and "Just SU" videos and am on my 3rd viewing.  I've rebuilt both carbs using Ztherapy kits.  Balanced with a unisyn.  Set mixture using push pin and Colortune.  The engine idle smoothly.  Vacuum is @ 20 PSI.  No smoke from exhaust.  But... 

It backfires out of carbs under load when I drive.  When I enrich mixture, the plugs fouls and and backfires out of exhaust.  Timing is set at 12 degrees (verified with liming light.   I have installed a Pertronix ignition with a 3.0 ohm coil which I got from MotorSport.  New plugs, wires, rotor, cap. 

As stated above,  I sprayed starter fluid on throttle shaft bushings  and it affected idle negatively.  I did both carbs individually and got similar results.

I have NOT adjusted carbs or check timing chain stretch yet (was hoping to avoid this).  Thought about what to (re) check?   Thanks!!  (Will report back!)

Both Carbs go down to 4 - 4.5 turns to get a decent mix per the Colortune.  I know I probably need to adjust the floats (again), but would that cause my car to run poorly?  In other words,  if the mixture's right (per ColorTune, "push pin" test, and muffler smoke/sound), does it matter how many turns I have to screw the adjuster "nut"?   

BTW:  I forgot to mention that  I used Float-Syncs to check the float levels & they both show the level at approx. 9/16" above the metal base of the Float-Sync.

Edited by Jughead
typo