IGNORED

Spirit Garage / Fujitsubo Header Exhaust Flanges...

ollie

Hi all,

Seems the exhaust section doesn't see a lot of traffic so I am posting this here.  Back story; I picked up a complete Spirit Garage exhaust system header to tailpipe and the header is a bad choice for a LHD car.  There is significant impact to the steering shaft from the first 2 primaries and the profile of the primaries are not a good fit for SU's with a heat shield.  Painful and expensive lesson learned but I am ready to move forward as opposed to spending a bundle with someone trying to cut and weld this header.  

Anyway it seems the Fujitsubo header (PN 510-15037) is the logical fit as a replacement option that will clear the steering shaft easily and support an SU heat shield with way less origami treatment that what I had to do with the SG header.  My concern is if I can use the Spirit Garage exhaust without modification to the header flange?  Whitehead claims the following with respect to the Fijitsubo Legalis R exhaust:

"This system is perfectly matched and bolts up directly to the following Datsun L-series L24 L28  headers:  Kameari Equal Length S.S. Exhaust Header,  GReddy Exhaust Header, Spirit Garage Exhaust Header, all available through Whitehead Performance."

I am wondering if there are any standards for the JDM headers where the flanges are concerned?  I am guessing no...so worst case, I buy the Fujitsubo header now and if it doesn't bolt up easily, I can have it modified or order the balance of the exhaust.  Anyway I have not had the best of luck with my Z's exhaust due to my own stupidity haha.  Thanks for reading...

Crumbs! That is a salty pill to swallow, sorry to hear. Did you give feedback to spirit garage with photos? I can’t imagine you’re the first or only person to fall foul of that.

I was very tempted by the fujitsubo system but a word of caution - if you have a later car like mine with an R200 diff, then the twin pipes will not have the second notch in the diff crossmember for one of the pipes and you will need to grind off a corner of the R200. Also I understand that some bending of the pipes is required at the back.

Now this last bit about pipe bending and grinding your diff is what I ascertained 2-3 years ago, but things may have moved on since. However, it’s worth double checking to go in with eyes open.

If you have an earlier S30 with an R180, then ignore what I said and party on!! It’s a beautiful bit of kit!!!!!!

No stupidity there. I went through a similar process with Zstory exhaust system. First one came within 3/4 “ of the SU soft hose. I didn’t trust 500 degree that close even with a shield. The second one contacted the  tension rod mount just sitting much less when the engine torqued. 

My solution was to go back to a stock manifold, had it ceramic coated along with the two tube down pipe. I am very happy with that and looks as good as the polished stainless exhaust.  Just another option that worked for me. 

Thanks guys...the balance of the Spirit Garage exhaust from the header back fits quite well.  It seems the flanges for the headers may be in a similar location but I am not keen to find out the hard way $$$.  I attempted to contact Spirit Garage directly but it didn't work out, the guys at RHD Japan were able to do so and it was a big help.  Big warning to those who look on the listing for RHD Japan and others, the Spirit Garage header will NOT fit without some serious bending of spendy stainless primaries, and likley cutting.  It would be an ugly outcome I am afraid.  

Any more feedback, keep it coming!  

Yep you got it...moreover, if there is any standardization where the header terminates and the mid section attaches...I fully realize this is more stupidity on my part.  Duff did his exhaust complete around the same time as I did mine, his is fully documented as fitting very well.  I am just trying to avoid junking the entire SG system if I can, and the only way I will know for sure is if I pull the trigger on the Fujitsubo header.  

Having said all this, the SG system is a thing of beauty.  Too bad they can't fit a LHD vehicle, ugh...more garage header art next to the the Stahl one it replaced I suppose.  

Yep you got it...moreover, if there is any standardization where the header terminates and the mid section attaches...I fully realize this is more stupidity on my part.  Duff did his exhaust complete around the same time as I did mine, his is fully documented as fitting very well.  I am just trying to avoid junking the entire SG system if I can, and the only way I will know for sure is if I pull the trigger on the Fujitsubo header.   Having said all this, the SG system is a thing of beauty.  Too bad they can't fit a LHD vehicle, ugh...more garage header art next to the the Stahl one it replaced I suppose.  

Unless others correct me, I don’t believe there is standardisation as all performance headers are made with different primary and collector lengths / config to suit their own systems.

I strongly suspect you will end up with some custom work there.

The other thing to consider is that the secondary configuration, size of resonator / position along the line was designed for the header to work well with and will be all messed up if you mix and match. IMHO it’s better to buy the whole system that is designed to work well together unless of course you fully understand the equations related to exhaust length and girth at different parts and can custom make parts.

Some good reading here if you have the time and patience to read it all (it’s long!) ...

https://www.musclecardiy.com/performance/exhaust-system-performance-math/

Personally, I would cut losses, eBay the SG and put it down to experience. Especially given than yours is unused, it will be desirable to many RHD owners and you should get much of your money back.

Ps. One last thought: PM Sean Dezeart who makes exhausts and may be better able to advise you.

10 hours ago, ollie said:

Thanks guys...the balance of the Spirit Garage exhaust from the header back fits quite well.  It seems the flanges for the headers may be in a similar location but I am not keen to find out the hard way $$$.  I attempted to contact Spirit Garage directly but it didn't work out, the guys at RHD Japan were able to do so and it was a big help.  Big warning to those who look on the listing for RHD Japan and others, the Spirit Garage header will NOT fit without some serious bending of spendy stainless primaries, and likley cutting.  It would be an ugly outcome I am afraid.  

Any more feedback, keep it coming!  

Pictures would be nice if you have any . Sounds like a guy with EFI might fair better with the one issue being close to the carbs . Interested to see the clash on the steering shaft and other issue . Wonder is someone with skills and a welder could fix it to work . 

Thanks to all.  I can share some pics for interest sake this weekend.  I've already attempted to gain clearance with heat and I am concerned that if I go any further, the primary will crack.   At the end of the day, the header is a square peg in a round hole for a lhd vehicle.  

Cheers guys.

15 hours ago, 7tooZ said:

My solution was to go back to a stock manifold, had it ceramic coated along with the two tube down pipe. I am very happy with that and looks as good as the polished stainless exhaust.  Just another option that worked for me. 

7tooZ    I like your solution.  Assuming you also have the Zstory exhaust system, how did you mate up the stock downpipe to the system?  As far as I know, Sean Desart does not have the downpipe for the stock manifold available yet.     Apologies for any distraction of the original topic. 

Edited by S30Driver
spelling

I had a NOS two tube to one. After ceramic coating the stock manifold I installed both on the car that already had the Zstory resonator and the JDM style muffler installed. The two systems were off by about 2-3 “. I took a selection of V-clamps and the car to a local shop. They used my parts and bridged the gap. They did an excellent job with really clean welding. I then dropped the down pipe and had it coated to match the polish stainless exhaust. 

Sat, Jan 11, 2020, 12:46 AM.pdf