IGNORED

Refurbished 1970 240Z Sells for $77,240 on BaT

6 hours ago, 7tooZ said:

I have wondered for a long time if these sales all close or do some fall through? Is there an out for the buyer?
anyone have any knowledge about that?

Well the buyer can back out but he will loose his privilege of bidding on BaT for future auctions and will probably still be charged the 5% commission he owes BaT.  After that deal is dead BaT will reach out to the second bidder to see if he is still interested.

• Like 1

Interestingly, the story I heard was that the Franklin Mint Z was offered to a collector I know for $65K some time before it was put on BAT.  He passed, and it was bought at that time by another collector (Larry Steppe -Lsteppe on BAT).  That collector has some sort of collaboration with the indicted felon who is The 240Z Guild on BAT, which may have started when Lsteppe bought an auctioned car from The 240Z Guild (before he called himself that) on BAT.

Now, back to the Franklin Mint Car, as mentioned Larry bought the car when it was offered for sale privately, and then appears to have had The 240Z Guild put it on BAT, where he bought it from himself for “the highest price paid for a 240Z” at the time.  

If you read the comments on pretty much any 240Z auction, you’ll see Larry and The 240Z Guild trying to influence prices all the time.  I’m guessing if the Franklin Mint car is still at The 240Z Guild in OK, it’s  just because Larry hasn’t moved it back to Atlanta.  The 240Z Guild has several of Larry’s cars on display in their “showroom” (which is the above pic).  Maybe Larry sold it to someone else, using his purchase from himself price to make a large profit on the car.

Edited by DougN
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DougN said:

Interestingly, the story I heard was that the Franklin Mint Z was offered to a collector I know for $65K some time before it was put on BAT.  He passed, and it was bought at that time by another collector (Larry Steppe -Lsteppe on BAT).  That collector has some sort of collaboration with the indicted felon who is The 240Z Guild on BAT, which may have started when Lsteppe bought an auctioned car from The 240Z Guild (before he called himself that) on BAT.

Mr Robert Jackson / 'The 240Z Guild' has a reputation:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=229228

I've never  seen a 240Z with the "passenger handle" on the driver's side before on a 240Z until this Dutchzcarguy pointed it out on the subject car and now on Siteunseen's Z.  Maybe it was by design that Nissan made both the right-hand drive and left-hand drive doors to accommodate a passenger handle for either side depending on which side of the car was the passenger side?  Obviously, the subject car and Siteunseen's car had the handles installed sometime after the cars were new or perhaps a handle was installed by the dealer when new as a "dealer option".  Very interesting - I guess you learn something new everyday when it comes to Z-Cars.  

28 minutes ago, lonetreesteve said:

Maybe it was by design that Nissan made both the right-hand drive and left-hand drive doors to accommodate a passenger handle for either side depending on which side of the car was the passenger side? 

There's no 'maybe' necessary here. They did. Notwithstanding all the "Made For The USA" propaganda, evidence is all over these cars that they were conceived, designed and engineered as a series of models, accommodating several different markets and both LHD and RHD configurations. 

And a very good job they made of it too...

• Like 2

A few years ago some NOS door cards were found, but they were either US or Japanese passenger specs, meaning that they have the door handle pull on them.  Guessing the driver sides wear out more frequently, so these were the left overs from US or Japanese spec full sets.  Guessing this car has a drivers side door card from that group, which would explain the door handle.

I still have one of these in the parts stash, but haven’t put it on.

Yeah, I bought a set of OEM door cards sometime back that had the holes for the pull handle on the driver side. All doors have the receiver threads for the bolts that hold the pull handle on (at least my early 71 did). I just attached a new pull handle and was done. It’s a nice addition and I always wondered why the set was cut for the driver side handle. Anyone know the answer? @Carl Beck   BTW....nice job in picking that out Site.....very observant!.

FED82F6C-FAD2-4E8D-87D0-A54031A550DF.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

:tapemouth:   ?   Hihihi..  L.O.L. !!!

Sorry dutchzcarguy.....you are “the man” Site is “the boy”! LOL  Same for you Alan....makes sense.....my door card was meant for a “right hand drive” Z.  What I get for not reading the whole thread. I stand corrected!

Edited by Diseazd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1