IGNORED

LED headlight question

siteunseen

if I were to buy LED headlights would I still need the "headlight upgrade harness"? I was thinking the lower power pull for the LEDs would eliminate the need for the harness. I never drive at night and the LEDs are funny looking but I do like the option if I decided to go for a midnight run. Thanks for any input.

These are the lights I could buy for not much money if I decided to.

https://www.ebay.com/i/174083088616?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=174083088616&targetid=916863675069&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9012737&poi=&campaignid=9343999170&mkgroupid=100238963011&rlsatarget=aud-762207186714:pla-916863675069&abcId=1139336&merchantid=118862638&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5-O7ofiL6gIVCK_ICh03Pwr2EAQYASABEgJeDfD_BwE

Site,

The biggest issue I found with the LED headlights is the way Datsun did the wiring. Since LED's are diodes they only allow electricity to flow in one direction. Rather than the center post being a common ground, the center post is hot and the switching is done between the 2 posts that are ground in the Datsun world. Here's a thread where I asked Dave about his harness and how it's wired. The thread also has the headlights I ended up going with.

Because I've been lazy and the lights are working I haven't taken the anti flicker block out yet, but according to Dave the harness puts the ground on post 3 where it typically is outside the Datsun 240z world.

• Thanks 1

As previously mentioned, you need to make a change with the headlight harness to convert it from the negative ground switched to positive switched for the led lights to work.   If you are in the market for led's,  take a look at Vintage Car Led Headlights  (they don't look funny)

https://vintagecarleds.com/7-inch-round-headlights/

Highly recommended ....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you guys!

I've got some reading to do before I make the change over. I got an email on those bug eyed LEDs on ebay showing a big price drop. I may try the cheap ones on my 280 first then go all out on the 240 later on. I'm hesitant messing around with that black magic "electricity" you guys are so good at.

• 6 months later...

I just completed my conversion on a 73Z to sealed beam LED headlights. I recommend the video at the bottom before buying $49 bugeye lights.

I went with Trucklite 27270C units, and I found a harness from LED online that provided my negative switching needs. I’m very happy with the results.

next up,   sexy headlight covers!

27165264-4BE7-4E2B-A831-5CC480873998.jpeg

A7517902-BD6A-440D-8FC1-A8CA20ACC07C.jpeg

0CE20FB0-A3A6-43B8-8DFB-537CC52D478F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Trimpe.bob@gmail.com said:

I just completed my conversion on a 73Z to sealed beam LED headlights. I recommend the video at the bottom before buying $49 bugeye lights.

I went with Trucklite 27270C units, and I found a harness from LED online that provided my negative switching needs. I’m very happy with the results.

next up,   sexy headlight covers

Can we get some night shots?