IGNORED

Early style Fan and clutch 240Z

A question for the guru's out there..

I have found an early type Fan, that I want to put on my Z. I've read on some online shops for Z parts that the early steel fans, also had different clutches , is this so ?

Also I saw that my fan blade is missing some metal on one blade, should i have this balanced or just weld it up, smooth it out and it will be balanced enough ?

Bartfan.jpg

clutchfan.jpg

Bart, the fan and clutch shown by Zkars above, is what came on my series 1 when purchased 

new.  These fans were heavy and often caused premature failure of water pumps.  It was 

fairly common for dealers to switch these out for the later plastic fan and clutch assembly

when they became available on later Zs.  I have the plastic fan assembly on my car and only

put the metal fan on for shows.  If you use this metal fan, I would make sure it is well 

balanced and has the correct resistance in the clutch.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 10:09 PM, AZ-240z said:

Bart, the fan and clutch shown by Zkars above, is what came on my series 1 when purchased 

new.  These fans were heavy and often caused premature failure of water pumps.  It was 

fairly common for dealers to switch these out for the later plastic fan and clutch assembly

when they became available on later Zs.  I have the plastic fan assembly on my car and only

put the metal fan on for shows.  If you use this metal fan, I would make sure it is well 

balanced and has the correct resistance in the clutch.

Okay. The red one could be a universal one for datsun maybe ? 

On 5/30/2020 at 7:50 PM, zKars said:

Here is one example I have.

08F1F2CD-6197-4871-BA5D-F4C29C74ABAE.jpeg

So comparing that to the other 2 pictures in my first post. This seems to be a different clutch ?

Where there 2 types, or are the other ones for a colder climate maybe ? Or not specific S30 ? Maybe someone can clear this out ?

Pretty sure the red one and the one in the bottom photo are aftermarket.

I have 2 of the original metal fans with original clutches---both are identical to the fan/clutch shown in zKars photo and as described by AZ240z.

The factory service manual describes dis-assembly and replacement of the viscous fluid in the clutch.

4 hours ago, Zup said:

Pretty sure the red one and the one in the bottom photo are aftermarket.

I have 2 of the original metal fans with original clutches---both are identical to the fan/clutch shown in zKars photo and as described by AZ240z.

The factory service manual describes dis-assembly and replacement of the viscous fluid in the clutch.

Ah okay. That's what I thought so also. Let's assume that for now...