IGNORED

Weatherstripping

Pinbill

Hello,

I am preparing for a glass out repaint of my 240z. I would like to source a high quality weatherstrip kit. Everything is online so I can't see them myself. I bought a weather stripping piece for the hood and it wasn't as good as the original. My body guy says he can reuse the chrome strips on the wind shield and hatch.

Does anyone have a recommendation for good quality a weatherstrip kit?

Thanks,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

It has been about 2 yrs since I bought from them and I don't remember receiving Precision wrapping bags on the individual items but I might be wrong.  Everything I did get fit perfectly.  I have purchased multiple items straight from Precision in the past and the only thing of theirs I found to be poor quality was the 240z main door seals but that flaw was fixed 4-5 yrs ago because so many people complained.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:11 PM, Pinbill said:

Hello,

I am preparing for a glass out repaint of my 240z. I would like to source a high quality weatherstrip kit. Everything is online so I can't see them myself. I bought a weather stripping piece for the hood and it wasn't as good as the original. My body guy says he can reuse the chrome strips on the wind shield and hatch.

Does anyone have a recommendation for good quality a weatherstrip kit?

Thanks,

Bill

For sure get the windshield and hatch rubber directly from Nissan. You will pay more but happy in the long run. 

I’ve installed a windshield seal from precision (bought from MSA) on my 260z, I had to use some silicon fill seal on the bottom edge to stop a leak.

ive used the felt liners inside the doors which work very well, along with quarter window seals, so far they have held up. 

ive yet to install the hatch seals, it’s next on my list to do, just have to throw down some paint on the tail lights.

for the doors I used some McMaster-Kar seals, they worked pretty well.

from what i can see with the installed windshield there is a slight visual size difference between both gaskets, i notice it the precision gasket when i installed it, there are sections where the oxidized paint shows through. With that being said my whole car needs a respray. ?

The white one is OEM, the brown one is a precision gasket.

In the end i could not justify the price for OEM, for me the old gasket was leaking water into the cabin and ruining metal work I did. At the time I was a broke college student, now Im a broke public employee ?

I'd be curious to see what vintage-rubber offers.

IMG_8444.jpgIMG_8466.jpg

I have the oem hatch gasket (its cost is reasonable), and last fall, installed a new windshield with the precision gasket.  Quite happy with the result.

Right now, the windshield oem gasket is under $300 and if I was doing it now. would go that route.  It was well over $400 when I did mine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 87mj said:

Is it safe to say that door weatherstrip that requires the use of the factory welt strips is still non existent?  Either factory or aftermarket?

I think you are mostly right if you mean the separate welt / weatherstrip the earlier cars had.   All the aftermarket stuff is the combined type.  However, once in a while the NOS door weatherstrip shows up.  I found 2 sets three years ago, sold one and kept one for my 71 z car.