IGNORED

New owner

I bought it from a woman who said she bought it new and it was black.  She is sending me a photo of the car back then.  She had an accident in the 80s that apparently caused them to replace the radiator so I cannot find the color code.  She does remember something about it being a "special edition".  I have read conflicting opinions about whether ALL black 280z's from 1978 are considered Black Pearl Editions.  How can I tell?  

This site says that "Black Pearl" is paint, stripes, an extra mirror, and a louver.  So, look for holes or witness marks where the mirror and louver was installed.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/910782/1978-datsun-280z-"black-pearl"-for-sale-in-beverly-massachusetts-01915

image.png

Here's a picture that seems to show the bottom brackets for the louver.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

If you can find an area of paint that has metallic black then it was a Black Pearl, apparently.  Probably what we used to call "metal flake".  Check the back of the gas filler door.  

Edited by Zed Head

Thanks all for input.  The way I read things it appears to me that all factory black 1978 280z's would be considered "Black Pearl".  The SAP would have been an optional addition.  I cannot find any other black paint code used in 1978 (some painted with Black Pearl metallic paint (638) and some with just regular black paint).   thoughts?

I will look closely for any hints in areas not touched since production.  At the end of the day I want to paint it with the original color.  Is 638 black available to purchase? are the pinstripes available for purchase?

thanks

At the end of all of the discussion I don't think that anyone is going to pay more for a "Black Pearl".  The car salesmen will use anything to promote a car.  You might even find Jon Voight's pencil in the glove box.

• Haha 2