IGNORED

5 Speed Transmission inspection and possible rebuild.

Av8ferg

Yep, Seem is 12 o'clock. I can't find any photosof mine except a couple of the old ones on the bench.

A good idea to fit it as one of the last things you do before putting it back together. Less risk of damging it.

Do you have all the seals for the selectors? They are often a source of oil leaks and now they are easy to change.

shifter seals what I and I presume Eurdat is talking about they are up around the shifter.

Next on the seals you showed make sure you put that front seal on right, open end TOWARDS the oil side. It looks kind of odd and keep up with the shims on the counter shaft front bearing. Use some grease to hold them in place.

You may be tempted to pound the front seal into the front cover with the back (closed side) of seal toward the oil, this is wrong.

Edited by Dave WM

The seals I mean are for the striking rod guide. They are often forgotten during a rebuild. If the last rebuilder re-used the nuts, he probably didn't replace the small seals. Same goes for the speedo drive seals, but they are easy to change with the tranny in the car.

See top right in photo.

Screenshot_20200611-230336.png

I finished putting the transmission together yesterday. Thanks for all the help. A special thanks to DaveWM and EuroDat.
I still need to install the shifter but waiting on a few parts there.
Question on the reverse lockout assy. I discovered is can be installed in two different orientations. The mounting plate/ bolt pattern work any orientation to put it in. There is a spring loaded mechanism cam type thing inside this component so I placed it toward what would be the bottom on the trans but not sure if this is correct. The other side just has a flat rectangle plate. The FSM diagram doesn’t help and I can’t recall how it came out. Here’s a couple pics of what I’m talking about.
87357dbf8b2cf7cb0d9d340aa934164b.jpg
9d8232339b4bf1571f6e16e7b520c832.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you fit the seal and o-ring to the striking rod section in the selectors? You can not fit them with the transmission assembled.

Well, I took a gamble and decided to leave them alone. I could see the o-ring when pulled the striking rod out as far as possible. It looked fine to me. I guess was I’ll find out later if this was the right call. I’m going to be gone for work for over a week and I wanted to get this back together before something got lost. I have three kids and a very small garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1