IGNORED

Parts Refurb

jfa.series1

38 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Wow!  That's collecting in my opinion, wisely too. 

I guess that A&E television show changed my perception of the meaning "hoarding".  They only show the nut jobs with newspapers stacked to the ceiling for people to gawk at then think their mess isn't so bad after all.  You know, those "feel good" shows. LOL

You should see Jim's bathrooms!

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

Wow!  That's collecting in my opinion, wisely too. 

I guess that A&E television show changed my perception of the meaning "hoarding".  They only show the nut jobs with newspapers stacked to the ceiling for people to gawk at then think their mess isn't so bad after all.  You know, those "feel good" shows. LOL

I'll post a separate story of the "hoard" and how it came to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The "procedure" I used is so:

1. Warmed the lens in the refelctor area with a hair dryer to make the white plastic plyable. Not to the point that it would melt, but enough to help it deform instead of breaking off.

2. Used a pair of plyers to squeeze the white plastic "pins" that protude through the reflector. Keep squeezing and moving around the pin and reheating until the plastic reduces enough the pull the refelctor over it.

3. Once you have the reflector off, clean it with a small wire wheel, 40 or 60 grit sandpaper until all the rust is gone. Treat it with rust convertor, prime it and then two coats of spray putty. Sand with emery and add another coat of spray putty. Repeat until smooth.

4. Apply aluminium tape and cut off excess with stanley knife.

5. Fit the reflector over the white plastic pins and use a soldering iron to melt the plastic pins and secure the reflector.

Unfortunately I didn't take many photos, but I do have some more of the 280Z turn signal lenses I restored.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Is that soap or paint remover in these pictures?

It is Rust-Oleum paint stripper. The enviromentally friendly version which is not as agressive as the normal variant.

PICT017.jpg

Edited by EuroDat
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

@EuroDat what is the spray putty product you mention?  Can you provide a brand or specific product name? Thanks.

The product I use is the brand Motip

https://www.ts24.nl/product_info.php/info/141299/MoTip-Spuitplamuur/?pla_source=14&gclid=CjwKCAjw7LX0BRBiEiwA__gNw2FhZ5mUh_K5KI3XxirtSWVF8Ho3S-RaN6UBna96oFDzaxyvTTp8rhoChWIQAvD_BwE

There are other brands

https://www.nonpaints.com/en/1k-spray-putty-in-aerosol-spraymax

20200408_184413.jpg

Edited by EuroDat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, EuroDat said:

Some quick searches suggest that here in the colonies we are not so enlightened or empowered.  I found the product in your area and similar in Australia, but not in the US.  We have high-build primer and that seems to be it.