IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

3 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Which "the" Skyline?

I own a KPGC10 race car and I can tell you that its bodyshell is no stiffer than any S30-series Z bodyshell.

Masahiro HASEMI  in 1970 Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-R.

He talks about Skyline being stiffer and the L24 being the better off-line "weapon" here: http://vital.sakura.ne.jp/NISSAN SKYLINE KGC10 HP/S30kei.html

Here he is in a Skyline battling the first L24 racer. He finished in 2nd.

image.png

Edited by 240260280

Hi Blue , 

L24 vs S20 , both are wonderful engine.

We need to be specific about what we are going to compare with them . Generally speaking ? Or racing cars ? L24 Europe vs US and Canada , etc etc . 

We can’t say like this , “ S20 has less torque so Z432 is inferior car in S30 family “ .

Nissan works race car used  a racing L24 , but we can’t say like this, “ showroom L24 engined car is superior than Z432  “ .

We can’t say “ our US and Canada Datsun 240Z is superior than Z432 “ only relying  a comment of the racer and a fact that Nissan works team took L24 rather than S20 . Racing history , results , came from a lot of complicated back ground. It is not that simple . 

You may say S20 in a works Z432-R had a terrible transmission vibration, yes some racers mentioned it .

But that doesn’t mean S20 is a bad engine , Z432 is a bad car . Keeping the rev not below 6000 rpm , and sometimes using 10000rpm quite often in racing S20 Z432-R , it is obvious that transmission could have the trouble more likely than L24 racing car . 

L24 , thanks to the torque, it didn’t need that much rev . 

And , L24 is easy to maintain , S20 needs much more hands to set the valve adjustment accurately.

L24 is easy drive too , so rally cars have L24 for its endurance, various kinds of road conditions.

If we want to know what was going on , we  need to hear , talk with many people who were involved Nissan , engineers , designers, racers , mechanics, in Japan like Alan has been doing . Time is running out, they are all became old . 

I can sympathize with you about trying to look down S20 and Z432 because I was doing same thing 20 years ago.

Just one experience changed whole my idea , my understanding . Mr. Yoshida’s Z432 opened my eyes wider than the past days . 

We can’t hate it without driving it , owning it . 

Kats

• Like 1

We're getting off into the weeds here, but since folks are talking about engines:  I'd actually have to say that the most enjoyable stock setup I've driven was, surprisingly, a 1970 Fairlady Z-L, sporting an L20 married to a 5 speed. This is a package combination that's largely unknown outside of Japan. The ratios, suspension geometry, and handling just feels "fun" in a really pleasing way that i have not felt in other setups. I personally prefer it to a stock US-specification setup, and for my style of everyday driving, I think it also compares favorably to the Z432. The Z432 is indeed also fun, but in a different, more purposeful and specific way.  I struggle a little bit with the S20's power band, which is less sympathetic to lazy driving.

In comparison, the most "beefy" setup i've driven is my Rubello 3.1 S30 with 4-wheel disc brakes, 5 speed, and modern suspension.  It's a super competent car, but if I'm being honest, it's really less fun to drive in most situations except really fast on the freeway.

The best news here is that there are so many variants of s30, both stock and custom, that there's something for everyone to like.  That's quite an extraordinary achievement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kats said:

Hi Blue , 

L24 vs S20 , both are wonderful engine.

We need to be specific about what we are going to compare with them . Generally speaking ? Or racing cars ? L24 Europe vs US and Canada , etc etc . 

We can’t say like this , “ S20 has less torque so Z432 is inferior car in S30 family “ .

Nissan works race car used  a racing L24 , but we can’t say like this, “ showroom L24 engined car is superior than Z432  “ .

We can’t say “ our US and Canada Datsun 240Z is superior than Z432 “ only relying  a comment of the racer and a fact that Nissan works team took L24 rather than S20 . Racing history , results , came from a lot of complicated back ground. It is not that simple . 

You may say S20 in a works Z432-R had a terrible transmission vibration, yes some racers mentioned it .

But that doesn’t mean S20 is a bad engine , Z432 is a bad car . Keeping the rev not below 6000 rpm , and sometimes using 10000rpm quite often in racing S20 Z432-R , it is obvious that transmission could have the trouble more likely than L24 racing car . 

L24 , thanks to the torque, it didn’t need that much rev . 

And , L24 is easy to maintain , S20 needs much more hands to set the valve adjustment accurately.

L24 is easy drive too , so rally cars have L24 for its endurance, various kinds of road conditions.

If we want to know what was going on , we  need to hear , talk with many people who were involved Nissan , engineers , designers, racers , mechanics, in Japan like Alan has been doing . Time is running out, they are all became old . 

I can sympathize with you about trying to look down S20 and Z432 because I was doing same thing 20 years ago.

Just one experience changed whole my idea , my understanding . Mr. Yoshida’s Z432 opened my eyes wider than the past days . 

We can’t hate it without driving it , owning it . 

Kats

No worries. I love and respect them both ?

Actually I don't like the fact that Nissan did not move the LY crossflow head into the main product. I guess the bean counters in Nissan just wanted to turn the crank and keep the production moving with minimal fuss.

My issue with this thread is all of the unnecessary Mr. K. bashing... one grows weary of the seeming agenda.

• Like 1

I first have to give a shout out to my customers/friends Marc and Chris. About every two years or so I have to be reminded that my customers are The Greatest!  Thanks guys!

Sure wish I had saved the FIA papers I had to, as I remember,  send off to France for along with, as I recall, $50.00. That was a lot of money for a Datsun dealer mechanic back in 1971 who was spending every nickel he had to race that 70 240 in IMSA.

jason240z, thank you very much for cutting to the chase about 240guild and lsteppe. In one case you have a convicted fraudster and the other owns all the worthwhile Z cars on earth and is a gold plated diamond encrusted member of the Barrett-Jackson community who only drinks at the Pie-On-The-Sky Head-In-The-Clouds bar while at the auction. I had a run-in with the later character after he bad mouthed my business on the BAT comments section. Said he would never do business with me and strongly suggested no one in the community do business with me. He later called to apologize -  long after the damage was done -  but the apology lasted about 15 seconds followed by 3-4 minutes of his cars and what he's done to and with them.

Series 1, series2, series 1.5. We were taught to identify Datsuns by their production date.

Yes, That sound deadener was indeed on the floor, trans tunnel and rear deck of Zs. it was 2 different thicknesses and up until about 2 years ago was still available from Nissan US in both thicknesses. May still be available, I haven't needed any for that long. 

I'll give you, sorry but you don't have a choice and it ain't all pretty, my take on Mr. K and Nissan/Datsun in the US in the early days another time but just now I have some zinc to sort.     Cheers and I hope everyone has a safe weekend

IMG_2328.JPG

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

My issue with this thread is all of the unnecessary Mr. K. bashing... one grows weary of the seeming agenda.

Katayama gets credited with things he was not responsible for, I point that out, and you class it as "Mr K. bashing".

If you're so protective of Katayama san's legacy, how come I never see you piping up when people call him "the designer of the 240Z"? 

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again: Katayama was a great man - worthy of his 'Motoring Hall Of Fame' place - but to focus almost solely on Katayama is to cast a huge shadow over a cast of many other very capable and worthy players. 

• Like 1