IGNORED

Timing chain set up incorrectly????

zdude1967

Jonbill / All 

the issue is several- the immediate issue being the replacement of the oil pump and no oil reaching the oil bar. The secondary issue which become more clear once the valve cover came off is the cam sprocket / timing chain. I am able to get the car to run -well (no spark plug damage, pinging, knocking  etc.) by spinning the distributor all the way towards the drivers side of the car (question, is that advancing it or retarding it) however that is at the max of its adjustment capacity so for a rebuild with low miles that seems questionable. So my first goal is to get the oil circulating , get the car put back together run it a few weeks , test the new 3 core radiator I installed then get to the timing chain issue. To accomplish this do I need to pull the oil pump and reinstall so the spindle points to 11:25 as I am understanding it is off on tooth or is it fine as it is. 

Edited by zdude1967
add ed info

If you can get the timing set properly without turning the spindle it becomes arbitrary. What you run into sometimes is you run out of adjustment if the spindle isn't clocked properly to start with. Some people have even had to compensate by moving each spark lead one hole to be able to set the timing properly. It's better if the spindle is clocked properly but doesn't have to be if you can set the timing properly.

Is there any reason oil shouldn't be flowing to the top? did you just replace the pump? Did you fill it with oil when you put it on? Sometimes they have a hard time priming themselves. Removing the plugs will help but don't over heat the starter!

Pull the oil pump and get the spindle in correctly. It’s a little of a pain the the butt but I agree that you are probably off one tooth. Fix the known problems first and let’s work from there. Get that set up right and then let’s pick this problem up from there. Also you can buy inexpensive Cam sprocket on interweb for about $20. I need to look back on our previous discussion we had a few weeks back but I think ITM has the V-Notch. Do you have your old sprocket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patcon- no reason I know that the oil should not flow. The pump is a new turbo style pump from MSA. I installed it in June and had to step away from it due to AZ heat in summer. So it was primed, installed and nothing done until now, I also changed the oil at the time and did not prime the filter, I usually don't but maybe in this case it is causing an issue.So just to confirm what you are saying it should be fine as it is , pull the plugs crank it and wait to see if the oil bar starts to work. Should I pull the filter and add oil to it prior to beginning. 

OK - I will pull the pump next weekend and reinstall. 

Av8ferg- I actually have a new Nissan sprocket never used that I can do the swap with. First course of action is this oil pump issue. I will get the sprocket in a few weeks.

I will return with results next week - thanks everyone

• Like 1