IGNORED

Timing chain set up incorrectly????

zdude1967

I had my engine rebuilt about 7 years ago. Since then I have to adjust (move ) the dist. all the way to the drivers side to make it run correctly. In the middle of the adjustment range it runs like sh*t.Some back history - the timing tab may not be correct as the crank pulley never lined up to zero at TDC- however I recently got the crank pulley rebuilt and now at TDC it seems to point to zero. In any case my issue is that the rebuilder used some lame aftermarket chain sprocket at the cam that does not have the V to associate the - mark to. In addition it does not seem they put the brass link associated to the #1 dimple or any dimple at TDC the brass link is a few inches away from any dimples at TDC. Is this why my dist. adjustment range is at its max -also I installed the oil pump and did an oil change etc. let the car sit a few months due to Arizona summer heat and tried cranking it with the valve cover off and and not seeing any oil come off the oil bar I primed the oil pump when I did the install back in June do I need to prime the oil filter or is the cam sprocket timing chain thing effecting the oil pump alignment somehow. Are the things I am mentioning connected

Step 1 Put your engine at top dead centre (TDC) Note that there is a TDC for the intake stroke and a TDC for the exhaust stroke. You need to get TDC at the intake stroke.

Step 2 Remove the distributor (1 10mm wrench to remove adjuster locking bolt).

Step 3 Look down where the hole where the distributor was and you should see this:

image.png

note the angle of the key and the small lobe

Report what you find.

Here is a photo of the cam sprocket. It is not at TDC currently because I was cranking the engine to make sure the oil was coming out of the oil bar over the cam. Which it is not. This is not a Nissan sprocket to the best of my knowledge - I have a new timing chain kit and the Nissan sprocket is very different - holes are located differently Nissan sprocket has the V.

z.JPG

z-2.JPG

z-3.JPG

I did however the timing notch in a harmonic balancer did not line up to the timing tab due to the harmonic balancer being worn and slipping. It has since been rebuilt and with the engine at TDC it points to the zero on the timing tab. Because the balancer notch did not line up and I was unaware of the balancer slipping I thought the timing tab was the wrong one for the car as it is a late model 260. So long story short in the past it was timed by how it ran, no knocks or pings backfires etc And this was the dist. at the end of the adjustment towards the drivers side. 

Is the current problem that you're not getting oil at the top of the engine when you crank it?
The distributor timing has no bearing on whether the oil pump is pumping.
Its probably just taking a long time to get oil round the engine from sitting so long. If you take the spark plugs out it will crank over faster.

Also the chain and valve timing is independent from the distributor timing. Your cam sprocket and chain have nothing to do with your ignition timing or lack of oil.

Looks like you might be off one tooth/gear . Looks like you are sitting close to 12 o’clock. 

Good advice above , spark plugs out and crank till you see oil. I actually use a separate spindle that has no crank gear on it to spin the pump with a drill. Good way to prime motor

EC1BCE89-A930-4B0F-A7E6-8C910F20FC15.jpeg

14 hours ago, zdude1967 said:

the rebuilder used some lame aftermarket chain sprocket at the cam that does not have the V to associate the - mark to. In addition it does not seem they put the brass link associated to the #1 dimple or any dimple at TDC the brass link is a few inches away from any dimples at TDC.

I'm not sure I would call it "lame" but some of the aftermarket sprockets have the timing marks on the back and some don't even some of the good name brands don't have the marks on the back we went through a bunch of them recently here on the forum search around on the site for more info and as for the "brass" link it doesn't line up with the dimple every rotation it only lines up every now and then we talked about that recently as well and I believe it lines up every eleven cam rotations but you should search around for that too just to confirm for sure.