IGNORED

Body Restoration

Rusty280z

Hey guys so I'm new and I have an old 1978 280z with rust in most common places for a Z. I live in Cali and want to do a full restoration on the body I'm currently tearing if down and want to know if anyone knows of any body shops that you guys would reccomend for this. It needs new floor panels and frame rails (frame rails are gone) also back by the hatch it has rust and also on side of driver side. I will post pictures. I dont mind if the shop is out of state as long as its recommendable and worth every penny. I really want to bring this car back to life. I'll be posting pictures and thank you guys 

20171003_174451.jpg

20180402_132950.jpg

20171003_175625.jpg

20171003_174428.jpg

20171231_101429.jpg

Just now, Patcon said:

That's pretty extensive. What is your budget? There is a shop not too far from you that does good work but be prepared for what the metal work and paint could cost!

@motorman7

Hey man I guess I should thew in budget but my budget for the shell is around 8k I have quarter panels that I got from a friend for replacement for the areas that are rusted out like crap 

4 hours ago, Rusty280z said:

Hey man I guess I should thew in budget but my budget for the shell is around 8k I have quarter panels that I got from a friend for replacement for the areas that are rusted out like crap 

Quarters would definitely make the repairs easier and cleaner

I'll be the first to say it:  I would SERIOUSLY reconsider restoring this car.  I'm 1/2 way thru restoring a '72 240 myself, including replacing floor pans, rockers, dog legs, hatch area, spare tire area. & front fenders.  I'm doing all the work myself and am very familiar with with you're up against. Based on your pics, your car is in much worse shape than mine was when I started.

This is will be very labor intensive work and it will cost well over $8K to have someone do a decent job.    My advice: Cut your losses.  Find  a decent, relatively rust-free project car for ~ $5K and restart from there.

Sorry to be the one to tell you this.  Good luck!

Jughead

• Like 4

I think this car is worth saving, but it needs a realistic budget. I am over $30,000 USD invested in my resto and I am doing all the labour myself....  so budget realistically. This will be a $50,000 plus restoration if you are planning on paying someone else to do even some of the work.

• Like 1

I agree with the crowd’s sentiment. You live in California? The Mecca for rust free Zs? I found mine in Mississippi (previous CA car). It was 3k (1977). Totally rust free. There might be some rust I haven’t see yet but all the typically areas are clean. So...with that said get one and either sell this 78 or use it as a parts car. I bet you can find a rust free 280 out there for 5-7k all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The rust on the bottom of the A pillar is really what has me concerned. Also, with that hole below the quarter window letting water in, I imagine the inside has more issues than it would typically. I don't think this chassis is worth saving if you're going to pay someone else to do the work. However, it could be a good chassis to learn to work on, if you are inclined to do so, and if successful, you'll have a car that you can say you built yourself at the end of it all. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jughead said:

I'll be the first to say it:  I would SERIOUSLY reconsider restoring this car.  I'm 1/2 way thru restoring a '72 240 myself, including replacing floor pans, rockers, dog legs, hatch area, spare tire area. & front fenders.  I'm doing all the work myself and am very familiar with with you're up against. Based on your pics, your car is in much worse shape than mine was when I started.

This is will be very labor intensive work and it will cost well over $8K to have someone do a decent job.    My advice: Cut your losses.  Find  a decent, relatively rust-free project car for ~ $5K and restart from there.

Sorry to be the one to tell you this.  Good luck!

Jughead

I feel you, sometimes I do want to sell it but I wouldn't be happy if I did really want to bring this back to life I'll find an answer soon enough hopefully. thanks man for the honesty though definitely always need that ??