Leather fuel flap, anyone sell one? - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Leather fuel flap, anyone sell one?

Featured Replies

I'm looking for a leather fuel flap, thought I saw one with one of the vendors but can't find it.  Looking to buy one if one is available before I try my hand at making my own.

59 minutes ago, gogriz91 said:

I'm looking for a leather fuel flap, thought I saw one with one of the vendors but can't find it.  Looking to buy one if one is available before I try my hand at making my own.

A question:  Why leather instead of the factory style rubber flap?

Dennis

Easy to make. It's flat with some holes. And you get to pick the leather you like, or have it dyed to match or contrast your paint! Adjust the size to your liking, add fancy engraving, make it look like a saddle, go nuts!

 

9 minutes ago, zKars said:

Easy to make. It's flat with some holes. And you get to pick the leather you like, or have it dyed to match or contrast your paint! Adjust the size to your liking, add fancy engraving, make it look like a saddle, go nuts!

 

Add to that list....soaks and holds moisture to promote corrosion, absorbs gasoline drips and overflow to maintain that delightful fresh gas smell mile after mile, and dries out and cracks like an old shoe.  But, after all the silly things I've done to my Z since 1971, who am I to judge?  ?

Dennis

  • Author
5 hours ago, psdenno said:

 But, after all the silly things I've done to my Z since 1971, who am I to judge?  ?

Dennis

Copy that,

I'll make my own.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I remember making one out of a inner tube of a car tire..  it works very well.  ask for a punctured inner tube at a tire shop, they got them laying around!

16 hours ago, gogriz91 said:

Copy that,

I'll make my own.

Power on!

Be sure to post a picture.

Dennis

I used the grey PVC shower liner (Oatey brand from Home Depot), it's flexible and doesn't hold any moisture, and is soft enough that it doesn't push the door open

I think that flap is more for keeping the pump's handle from scratching our cars paint if you let it hang on itself. I'm sure it catches a drip or a few but I always turn the handle horizontally and tap it on the opening to get those drips out.

I thought about making one out of a tire's tube which wouldn't harden but after seeing the leather ones I might try that?

Thanks for another option @ramsesosirus.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.