IGNORED

Leather fuel flap, anyone sell one?

gogriz91

59 minutes ago, gogriz91 said:

I'm looking for a leather fuel flap, thought I saw one with one of the vendors but can't find it.  Looking to buy one if one is available before I try my hand at making my own.

A question:  Why leather instead of the factory style rubber flap?

Dennis

Easy to make. It's flat with some holes. And you get to pick the leather you like, or have it dyed to match or contrast your paint! Adjust the size to your liking, add fancy engraving, make it look like a saddle, go nuts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, zKars said:

Easy to make. It's flat with some holes. And you get to pick the leather you like, or have it dyed to match or contrast your paint! Adjust the size to your liking, add fancy engraving, make it look like a saddle, go nuts!

Add to that list....soaks and holds moisture to promote corrosion, absorbs gasoline drips and overflow to maintain that delightful fresh gas smell mile after mile, and dries out and cracks like an old shoe.  But, after all the silly things I've done to my Z since 1971, who am I to judge?  ?

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Jem2749 said:

I like those!  My Mom has a closet full of old leather purses.  I'll have an Aigner fuel flap. :beer:

My rubber/plastic one, where the fold up is, pushes my fuel door open sometimes.

• Like 1

I think that flap is more for keeping the pump's handle from scratching our cars paint if you let it hang on itself. I'm sure it catches a drip or a few but I always turn the handle horizontally and tap it on the opening to get those drips out.

I thought about making one out of a tire's tube which wouldn't harden but after seeing the leather ones I might try that?

Thanks for another option @ramsesosirus.