IGNORED

'71 Pollution Controls: Keep or Remove?

DannDZ

I'm in the process of a major tune-up on my early '71. What is the consensus about the keeping or removing the pollution control system, in particular those items connected to the carburetor/fuel system. My primary goal is to maintain as much collection value as possible, since it #8225 made in 8/70. I don't live in a tough registration state, but could this modification keep the car from being registered in any states? (Not concerned about Alaska and Hawaii.)

If the suggestion is to remove components, can you point me to some good instructions or videos?

-Dann

Of course opinions are like a$$ holes, everybody has one. My opinion is to remove it. I believe a 71, even in California, can be licensed as a collector vehicle without original pollution equipment. If you do something like the MSA ceramic coated headers you'll be removing all the exhaust air injection stuff. Someone else will need to jump in for the carb side of things, but there's stuff that comes off there too.

If you intend to do a full original restore like @motorman7 did on @jayhawk's 73 240 (an awesome gorgeous build) then you'll want it all intact.

1 hour ago, DannDZ said:

I'm in the process of a major tune-up on my early '71. What is the consensus about the keeping or removing the pollution control system, in particular those items connected to the carburetor/fuel system. My primary goal is to maintain as much collection value as possible, since it #8225 made in 8/70. I don't live in a tough registration state, but could this modification keep the car from being registered in any states? (Not concerned about Alaska and Hawaii.)

If the suggestion is to remove components, can you point me to some good instructions or videos?

-Dann

I removed the air pump on mine when it went bad and left everything else installed.  No performance issues.  Here's a link to a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15DtLaULAI

If your goal is "collection value" as you stated, either keep all components in place or if you remove them put them in a box for the next owner.

Dennis

While California does not require a SMOG test for cars before 1975, I believe that's the cut off year now, you are required to have the equipment on the car.   You may be required to reinstall all original SMOG equipment if it's been removed.  Now that being said, I don't know how often that happens.  If you are not drag racing / driving crazy / speeding excessively probably not very often.

The air galley is the bad one. It can be rusted out and leak like a sieve, gassing you with exhaust fumes. As far as I know they are not available so the only solution is to remove it and block the ports for it on the manifold, or get headers.

11 hours ago, psdenno said:

I removed the air pump on mine when it went bad and left everything else installed.  No performance issues.  Here's a link to a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15DtLaULAI

If your goal is "collection value" as you stated, either keep all components in place or if you remove them put them in a box for the next owner.

Thanks for the video. It will be very helpful should I decide to remove the "extra" parts. As for keeping things, I still have the original fuel pump and metal fan/clutch assembly. Saving is in my nature! 

11 hours ago, jwtaylor said:

While California does not require a SMOG test for cars before 1975, I believe that's the cut off year now, you are required to have the equipment on the car.   You may be required to reinstall all original SMOG equipment if it's been removed.  Now that being said, I don't know how often that happens.  If you are not drag racing / driving crazy / speeding excessively probably not very often.

Good to know. I will be keeping the parts at the very least.

If you are really going to drive and enjoy the car, you can keep it on if everything is in good shape but if there are issues with the system, everything can be removed and kept for a future owner.  Take lots of pictures and label everything as you remove it.  You mentioned you goal is to keep it as original as possible for value purposes.  From a value stand point, I don't think you lose anything by removing it and keeping everything.  Of course if you are going for concourse level shows, the system needs to be 100% intact and working properly.  I had car #8011 and all of the smog equipment was gone when I got the car and when I sold it I do not feel anything was lost by not having it.  A future owner will always view at least having in a box as a "nice to have" but probably not a deal breaker as series-1 cars continue to appreciate. 

I recently researched the issue in California of removing the smog equipment. 

California exempts pre-1976 cars from smog testing (so a 1975 280Z is exempt) and has no rules or regulations forbidding removal of smog equipment from those cars. 

HOWEVER, the federal Clean Air Act of 1972? does forbid removal or modification of smog equipment on all cars of any year. The EPA is not trying to enforce that against individuals, but they are pursuing action against manufactures of parts that result in the removal or modification of smog equipment. 

So as an individual you are probably safe, if your state exempts your vehicle from smog testing.