IGNORED

Timing chain guide

Dave WM

How did you deal with the portion of the head gasket that extends over the timing cover? Did your's survive removing the timing cover? The only other time I have intended to remove the cover without pulling the engine apart, the head gasket ripped. I thought at the time that I would cut a new replacement gasket but ended up disassembling the engine for other reasons.

9 minutes ago, jonathanrussell said:

How did you deal with the portion of the head gasket that extends over the timing cover? Did your's survive removing the timing cover? The only other time I have intended to remove the cover without pulling the engine apart, the head gasket ripped. I thought at the time that I would cut a new replacement gasket but ended up disassembling the engine for other reasons.

I think loosening the pan bolts all around it so I could pull the pan down a bit was the key. that way as you get it loose from the dowel pins you can immediately pull the cover free with a slight downward and out motion. Same with installing. It VERY slight the angle I am talking about but enough it seems to do the trick. Also I have what I assume is an OE head gasket if that matters. It was not the least bit of a struggle getting it off once it broke free of the bond around the entire cover.

• Like 1

Update:

Took a while but the oil pressure came up, I had lots of oil on the lobes so I am sure they are fine. I am recharging the battery and will do a quick cold compression check, just want to see if there is any diff. IIRC last time it was about 155 cold, but not sure about that. I am curious to see if it could have changed (if the valve timing was any diff I assume it could effect the compression). I almost forgot to tighten up the pan bolts. I will go over everything after a few runs to make sure I did not miss anything. I had ZERO oil leaks before so I really hope its still going to be that after all this invasive surgery.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

Does any one know if the ITM has it?

The ITM gear does have the marks. Reptoid Overlords confirmed that earlier. Here's my current list.

Yes Timing Marks:
TRW S462 - pic from ebay has the marks
Beck Arnley 025-0266 Pic from ebay has the marks
ITM 053-90400 has the marks (note this is a full kit) (Confirmed by Reptoid Overlords)

No Timing Marks:
Melling - Pic from rockauto shows no marks on back
OSK does not have the timing marks  - (Confirmed by Dave WM)
Federal Mogul (Sealed power) - pic from ebay shows no marks on back

One of the brands I haven't yet determined is Cloyes. Anyone seen a pic of the back of that one?

2 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

Update:

Took a while but the oil pressure came up,  I had ZERO oil leaks before so I really hope its still going to be that after all this invasive surgery.

Sweet. Looking forward to the first test drive. Good thing you remembered to tighten up the oil pan bolts!!   LOL

Test drive went well, Oil pressure came right up (should figuring all the pre running, no noticeable leakage of water, some oil around drain pan passenger side, but I suspect that came from when I installed the full oil filter. No "funny" sounds, just normal Datsun engine. I will get a couple cans of brake clean (I never seem to have enough of that stuff) and hose off the under side around the oil pan to be sure. there was some anti freeze trapped on suspension part under the water inlet, I think that came from when I re attached the heater hose, I blew it out with compressed air, towel dried it. It seems like a natural catch place for water anyway. Had the squeals from the belts, alt most likely, I tend to install too loose, trying to not over stress the water pump. Maybe a new belt is in order, will pickup when I get the brake clean. Next trip will be to south florida, South beach, pretend I am sonny crocket, cruise around at O dark thirty. The beach is fun then, cool and feels like going home again (but for all the new roads anyway). Maybe drive around the old hood and see what's happening. A nice short trip to really give it a test, before tail of the dragon, then maybe plan a trip up the North East. I would ultimately like to drive in Canada, maybe up the Yukon, but that will take a lot of time before I think I can get up the nerve to test the long range of the Z again.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

Test drive went well, Oil pressure came right up (should figuring all the pre running, no noticeable leakage of water, some oil around drain pan passenger side, but I suspect that came from when I installed the full oil filter. No "funny" sounds, just normal Datsun engine. I will get a couple cans of brake clean (I never seem to have enough of that stuff) and hose off the under side around the oil pan to be sure. there was some anti freeze trapped on suspension part under the water inlet, I think that came from when I re attached the heater hose, I blew it out with compressed air, towel dried it. It seems like a natural catch place for water anyway. Had the squeals from the belts, alt most likely, I tend to install too loose, trying to not over stress the water pump. Maybe a new belt is in order, will pickup when I get the brake clean. Next trip will be to south florida, South beach, pretend I am sonny crocket, cruise around at O dark thirty. The beach is fun then, cool and feels like going home again (but for all the new roads anyway). Maybe drive around the old hood and see what's happening. A nice short trip to really give it a test, before tail of the dragon, then maybe plan a trip up the North East. I would ultimately like to drive in Canada, maybe up the Yukon, but that will take a lot of time before I think I can get up the nerve to test the long range of the Z again.

I can make room for you in the guest house not far from "Tail of the Dragon"...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I can make room for you in the guest house not far from "Tail of the Dragon"...

That would be great! I will let you know when get close. What's a good time to make that drive? for best views, traffic etc....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Absolutely. If you travel to the Northeast, make sure I know about it!

Will do. Its been a long time since I was up that way, had a job where the HQ was in a place called Strafford PA or maybe Wayne PA maybe the same area. It was very peaceful, used to like going there on bus trips.