IGNORED

Does anyone have these for sale, or know where to find ?

17 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

...the designs were altered to accommodate the USA market.

Would you say that the styling/design/engineering accommodated other markets/contemporary variants, or not?

Rhetorical question: How about other models, or was the S30-series Z somehow unique?

NB: I'm not saying that the S30-series Z was conceived, styled, designed and engineered mainly as a Japanese market model (who would say that?) but that the cars themselves - and the components they are built up from - tell us that the "Made For The USA" story is more of an advertising slogan than anything else. If you've seen all the contemporary variants in the metal and examined them closely, I don't see that you can think other than that these cars were very cleverly designed and engineered to accommodate several different contemporary variants and markets. Just like pretty much all of Nissan's product of the same period, in fact.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Some google searches on " 240Z splash pan " come up with all kinds of things, but not a clear date or anything else. Some people asking 500 USD for this piece of metal LOL. I understand it's rare, but this is just ridiculous,

A good sheetmetal worker could probably make a fairly convincing replica for you. I have a couple of spare originals, but once the selling price and shipping are factored in you might be better off commissioning the replica instead.

33 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

Would you say that the styling/design/engineering accommodated other markets/contemporary variants, or not?

Rhetorical question: How about other models, or was the S30-series Z somehow unique?

NB: I'm not saying that the S30-series Z was conceived, styled, designed and engineered mainly as a Japanese market model (who would say that?) but that the cars themselves - and the components they are built up from - tell us that the "Made For The USA" story is more of an advertising slogan than anything else. If you've seen all the contemporary variants in the metal and examined them closely, I don't see that you can think other than that these cars were very cleverly designed and engineered to accommodate several different contemporary variants and markets. Just like pretty much all of Nissan's product of the same period, in fact.  

I agree with you Alan. There are so many people involved in the development of a product, each with their ideas, visions, abilities and influence. My posts above are from a very high level as per what a "bean counter" in Nissan would see and steer the company. All of those who put their heart and soul into the product each had their own dreams of what they were creating. We are the lucky ones to enjoy it!

btw: Even the internal Prince/Nissan rivalry that made its way into the S30's evolution makes for a wonderful history of a great product.

I love it all and this forum that keeps the spirit alive and well.

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, HS30-H said:

A good sheetmetal worker could probably make a fairly convincing replica for you. I have a couple of spare originals, but once the selling price and shipping are factored in you might be better off commissioning the replica instead.

I hate putting replica stuff on classic cars, so that would be a no no

1 hour ago, bartsscooterservice said:

I hate putting replica stuff on classic cars, so that would be a no no

Personally speaking, I have gradually learned to be more pragmatic.

Plenty of replica stuff on my cars. Perfect is the enemy of good.

• Like 2

I plan to do a tribute to the first 240z displayed at the Tokyo Motor Show so  that is where my splash pan is planned, but,  I still can not ascertain if it actually had one from the photos. If not, I could sell it to you. (or trade for orange tail lights or Fairlady Z style spoiler)

Tokyo-Auto-Show-Export-fron.jpg

TokyoMotorShow69.jpg

The 432 and Fairlady Z L had them:

Tokyo-Auto-Show-432-right.jpg

z432 (2).jpgTokyo-Auto-Show-ZL-right (1).jpg

Edited by 240260280

On 10/10/2019 at 7:43 AM, gundee said:

My February 72 built 240Z has one. I purchased my car used from a Datsun dealer. It was a trade in from the original owner.

I doubt the dealer or the original owner added it. I would say it came from the factory like that.

Hi gundee , is your splash pan non-hole type or with holes type ? If it is a non- hole type , it is period correct for your car .

But I can’t say it came from a factory or a dealership . Like sports optional parts and even standard parts which are not for US and Canada might be able to be placed an order through the local dealer ship , a scenario that someone put the splash pan at the local dealership or at the individual garage could still be existing.

Kats

2B039502-E127-4B48-90E3-E27857FF3DEE.png

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

Speaking of options....

Were there any of the very nicely fabbed headlight covers (glass(?) with chrome edging(?)) from the Factory?

Maybe as a JDM item?

They'd be almost worth drilling holes for (if they were verifyably Factory).

Just curious.

13 hours ago, ensys said:

Speaking of options....

Were there any of the very nicely fabbed headlight covers (glass(?) with chrome edging(?)) from the Factory?

Maybe as a JDM item?

They'd be almost worth drilling holes for (if they were verifyably Factory).

Just curious.

There are reproductions;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240z-260z-280z-Metal-Reproduction-Headlight-Covers/303311991232?hash=item469ecdb1c0:g:6vgAAOSwAx9cUkn8

Sticks in my mind that these are from the same folks that do the Vintage Dashes, but not sure.

From time to time I've seen originals, but the cheapest I remember was $1,200.00 USD

Edit: A little cheaper here;

https://jdm-car-parts.com/products/reproduction-jdm-headlight-cover-for-datsun-240z-260z-280z

Edited by w3wilkes

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:07 PM, HS30-H said:

Personally speaking, I have gradually learned to be more pragmatic.

Plenty of replica stuff on my cars. Perfect is the enemy of good.

One some parts that I agree. For instance I have replaced the speedo meter cable with a chinese knock off from Ebay.  But for a splash plan, a replica is easy to spot.

• 9 months later...