IGNORED

BAT 1970 240Z HLS30-04930

wheee!

So with the BaT car at$66k, the blue car could be cleaned up and easily be worth a good bit more than it sold for. It might have lower actual miles and I think it was a 50% lower vin...

I am not surprised it went that high. I would have guesses 50k if no major flaws. I didn't look at it that close but it seemed "presentable"

Edited by Patcon

" Can't believe a mechanic thought it might be $138K miles".

Frankly, I'm with the mechanic. I find it improbable that in the first, apparently casual, 38K mi,. the oil press gauge would fail. Even more so that after mulling his options, he would elect to add an aftermarket gauge on his young and still newish Z. Further, if it were I, I'd be wondering about the paint thickness too. I think a leisurely exam of the undercarriage would be illuminating.

Anecdotally, add this kind of moral ambiguity to the bald-faced baloney from the seller and the peanut gallery, how is it wrong to think life on the web is more s**t than Shinola.

What is that old saying about a fool and his money?

$.02 from a different peanut gallery.

Edited by ensys

Sometimes I do feel like BAT is some kind of “micro climate” with only a very few guys (that I can count with one hand) that have deep pockets and interests in the same car to bring those prices up. 

I’m not saying that it is a bad thing, I’m more implying that if you have anything from a good resto candidate to a almost original car and want to sell, BAT seems to be the venue at this time over CL or freebay...

my 2cents.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ZCarFever said:

Sometimes I do feel like BAT is some kind of “micro climate” with only a very few guys (that I can count with one hand) that have deep pockets and interests in the same car to bring those prices up. 

I’m not saying that it is a bad thing, I’m more implying that if you have anything from a good resto candidate to a almost original car and want to sell, BAT seems to be the venue at this time over CL or freebay...

my 2cents.

EXACTLY.  I know people are buying up these cars and their value is going up.  But somehow, I am very skeptical of the BAT prices. BAT is a subculture. The bidders and commentary seem to be a "click" of a select few.  Their comments seem to influence the bidding more than others.  When they are gone from BAT, I think the gravy train will be over and price increases wont be as steep as they are now. 

The guild guy already mentioned sells "refreshed" cars for $60k.  I own a car that after a nice 2 stage paint job would qualify as one he could buy and resell for $60k.   I think he could sell my car for $60k because he is the "authority on all things Z".  I on the other hand might get only $30k out of it since I am just some guy...His customers might not realize if they educated themselves, they could buy 2-3 clean cars for what they paid for one.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 87mj said:

EXACTLY.  I know people are buying up these cars and their value is going up.  But somehow, I am very skeptical of the BAT prices. BAT is a subculture. The bidders and commentary seem to be a "click" of a select few.  Their comments seem to influence the bidding more than others.  When they are gone from BAT, I think the gravy train will be over and price increases wont be as steep as they are now. 

The guild guy already mentioned sells "refreshed" cars for $60k.  I own a car that after a nice 2 stage paint job would qualify as one he could buy and resell for $60k.   I think he could sell my car for $60k because he is the "authority on all things Z".  I on the other hand might get only $30k out of it since I am just some guy...His customers might not realize if they educated themselves, they could buy 2-3 clean cars for what they paid for one.

lets be clear, hes not the 'authority on all things z'.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jason240z said:

lets be clear, hes not the 'authority on all things z'.

Right.  But somehow he has convinced his customers that he is.  That is how he is able to sell cars at 2x their value which in turn contributes to artificially inflated values.

Agree?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 87mj said:

.His customers might not realize if they educated themselves, they could buy 2-3 clean cars for what they paid for one.

Yes, but his customers and many other bidders want to spend too much, they want the best, they want the price to hurt a bit, they are not really looking for a "deal".  It's all about preceived quality and all of us succumb to it at some point it's just these guys have deeper pockets than you and me.  It's like a self sustaining bubble that bursts occasionally, sort of like the housing market.  But hey, it's their money and god bless'em.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ensys said:

" Can't believe a mechanic thought it might be $138K miles".

Frankly, I'm with the mechanic. I find it improbable that in the first, apparently casual, 38K mi,. the oil press gauge would fail. Even more so that after mulling his options, he would elect to add an aftermarket gauge on his young and still newish Z. Further, if it were I, I'd be wondering about the paint thickness too. I think a leisurely exam of the undercarriage would be illuminating.

Anecdotally, add this kind of moral ambiguity to the bald-faced baloney from the seller and the peanut gallery, how is it wrong to think life on the web is more s**t than Shinola.

What is that old saying about a fool and his money?

$.02 from a different peanut gallery.

Series 1 cars up to SN 21000 had a 140 psi oil pressure gauge using a 10kg pressure switch, it was a very common complaint that they read to low. SN 21001 and up has a 90 psi gauge using a 6kg switch so that the needle would read more to the center of the gage.  It would make sense that the original owner added the extra gage to confirm he had good oil pressure.  Here is a discussion on this subject:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wheee! said:

Here’s the $69,000 question....
What do you (collectively) personally think the car should have sold for?
I still say it was a $30,000 car tops.

I don't know any more. A few years ago, I would have agreed whole heartedly.  Any more, I just don't know. I have a difficult time even guessing anymore

• Like 1