IGNORED

Radiator Fan Installation

moozieman

Hey everyone! This might be a dumb question, but I'm doing my first L28 build and I cannot figure out how to get this radiator fan on for the life of me. It seems to be the pulley assembly and then the fan clutch that goes onto the end of the camshaft. Should be simple, but I cant figure out the order in which they need to be installed. It apparently uses some double threaded screws and some nuts but I just cant seem to get it. SMH.

Make sure the threads on the studs and nuts are clean before you start.  Maybe also spray lightly with WD40.  The easier you can get those nuts to finger-tighten, the less annoying this job will be (and it can be really annoying).

42 minutes ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

Put the base of the fan on the studs, then the nuts on the studs. It's tight and you'll have to rotate the fan to fit the wrench. Little turns at a time is all you'll get. Unless you have super tight fit ratcheting wrenches. 806d4f7ef4e8432fa59a8ec92c4b1f4a.jpg

Sent from my Coolpad 3310A using Tapatalk

So there is a total of two nuts on the screw? Before AND after the fan base?

There are 4 studs, and 4 nuts. I snapped that pic on my way out to work, so it is hard to see. If it hasn't gotten sorted out by the time I get back home I'll take more pictures. I have a complete engine on a stand in my garage so it's easy to see being out of the car.

Edit: the nuts in the picture I took are installed to keep them safe from me losing them. You will start with a stud only, install the fan base, and then the nuts (4).

I hope I remember this right...

Short threaded end of studs into water pump

slide the pulley/hub looking thing over them

put the fan clutch on the other end of the studs and then put the lock washers and nuts on

get some band aids for your bleeding knuckles ROFL

Edited by siteunseen

48 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I hope I remember this right...

Short threaded end of studs into water pump

slide the pulley/hub looking thing over them

put the fan clutch on the other end of the studs and then put the lock washers and nuts on

get some band aids for your bleeding knuckles ROFL

is the hex nut thingy part of that screw? Or is is just a double threaded rod with a nut on it??

6 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

They're "double threaded rod with a nut".  You see the shorter threads?  They go into the water pump.

Dorman 23733 - Dorman Water Pump Studs

Ohhhhh ok that makes alot more sense. I thought those nuts were part of the bolt cuz I could NOT get them off lol Thanks!

• Like 1