IGNORED

Restoration Unveiled Today 08.17.2019

Car54280ZX

If the problem is indeed with the small status display, you can purchase the entire instrument cluster on Ebay for likely less than a repair cost would be.

If it were me, I would try to find someone with a spare cluster to borrow, easy to remove yours and one plug feeds the entire unit, test and you will know if it is the display.   I have a feeling the problem may lie elsewhere.

Thank you for your reply. Here’s what’s happening.

It worked perfectly and then I let it sit for 20 years. Mice invaded the engine but they ate no wires since wire covering in 1981 is not vegetable based.?

Pulled engine and dashboard and entire interior. Rebuilt engine, cleaned dashboard and reinstalled everything.

The display above the steering wheel lights up randomly. When I push the button to check the systems, the display won’t work. The display only lights up (or glows) and I can see the several different “icons” all at one time in the display but there is no individual “icon” that comes up.

I’m not sure what the answer is?

Im not sure what to search for on line. Please help!

4 hours ago, Car54280ZX said:

It worked perfectly and then I let it sit for 20 years

That's most times what's killing it..  The capacitors (electrolitic) now fail..  after a long time of "no power"on them they disintegrate/dry up..

You have to check the whole system.. don't know if there is but i think there should be a wiring diagram of the system in the service manual..

16 hours ago, Car54280ZX said:

Thank you for your reply. Here’s what’s happening.

It worked perfectly and then I let it sit for 20 years. Mice invaded the engine but they ate no wires since wire covering in 1981 is not vegetable based.?

Pulled engine and dashboard and entire interior. Rebuilt engine, cleaned dashboard and reinstalled everything.

The display above the steering wheel lights up randomly. When I push the button to check the systems, the display won’t work. The display only lights up (or glows) and I can see the several different “icons” all at one time in the display but there is no individual “icon” that comes up.

I’m not sure what the answer is?

Im not sure what to search for on line. Please help!

Did the warning system work properly before the dash was removed? Honestly I'm pretty sure the instrument cluster just houses a series of bulbs that light up when commanded by the control amplifier. So basically, unless there are broken solders or circuits on the circuit board of the instrument cluster (unlikely), I doubt it's the problem. I would double check all your connections, especially those running from the control amplifier (underneath the glove box) to the instrument cluster. 

If you want to start with the basics, make sure the control amplifier is being provided proper power and ground. 12v power is provided from the 2nd to the bottom fuse in the left column of the fuse box, through a green wire to the connector at your control amplifier. Ground is a black wire 2 cavities over from the green wire in the control amplifier connector, which goes through a junction connector and then to body ground. Since you pulled the dash, there's a chance you may have a loose ground or poor connection here.  Page EL-83 in your FSM illustrates the wiring schematic you'll need to follow, but what I listed above will be the basics to get you started. 

If you suspect you have a faulty control amplifier, I have an '82 turbo parts car that I can send you a replacement for. I can't promise they're 100% compatible, but I doubt nissan would make changes to that particular system in 1 year. But I would first verify your harness integrity. And I can also assure you that mice, rats, squirrels etc. will absolutely chew up these harnesses, as I have seen first hand. 

Edited by zeeboost
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 8:50 AM, Captain Obvious said:

Can you post a pic of a working one and also post another pic of what yours does instead?

OMG. I only have one ZCar. So I can't post a pic of a working one. This indicator is in the instrument cluster directly above the steering wheel. And there is a push pin to activate it to check status of various components - headlights (right left), tail lights (right left), brake lights (right left), and another item. At the end of the check, the display says "OK" in a green color. 

Right now, it just glows, showing all of the status symbols.

The next time I see it happening, I will take a video of it on my iPhone and share it with everyone!!

11 hours ago, Car54280ZX said:

OMG. I only have one ZCar. So I can't post a pic of a working one.

Not exactly sure what the above means, but I took a couple seconds of looking on-line to come up with some examples of what it's supposed to look like maybe?

From  >>   http://xenonzcar.com/s130/warninglamps.html

warningdisplay4.png

warningdisplay9.png

Are those what it's supposed to look like if it's working? Is it really multi-color like that?

I "will" absolutely drive it this time around! What a huge mistake. I will store it in my attached garage this time, better humidity control. I'm thinking about buying a "CarCoon" from the UK. These CarCoons have a circulation system included. I would just have to install a 220 volt hook up in my garage, which should be a breeze.

I have been storing my Z in a car jacket until I’m ready to bring her home . It zips up and I put moisture absorbing buckets in it. No mold, no mice and no problems.

https://www.carbag.com/carjacket/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

warningdisplay4.png

warningdisplay9.png

Are those what it's supposed to look like if it's working? Is it really multi-color like that?

From memory of my zx turbo cars in the past,  yes, its a 2 or 3 color display.   Amber, green, and i think white.    The OK when all passes is green.

6 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

I have been storing my Z in a car jacket until I’m ready to bring her home . It zips up and I put moisture absorbing buckets in it. No mold, no mice and no problems.

https://www.carbag.com/carjacket/

Do you think it would be possible to purge the oxygen out of the bag with a small tank of Nitrogen? No mold or rust without oxygen.

No, the bag isn’t completely sealed. It closes with a zipper but with 2 damp rid buckets in there it keeps the moisture down.

Here are some products that are better to completely keep moisture out.

https://inthegarage.com/product/car-shield/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cce-ledb18?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxoGZora-6AIVGWyGCh1itAVfEAQYASABEgLG0_D_BwE