IGNORED

Can't align HVAC trim panel?

chaseincats

Hi guys,

Having a tough time figuring out how to center the HVAC selector trim piece.  As you can see from the image, the trim piece is not centered within the vent panel frame once bolted in.

If I forcibly center it by pushing the piece right, it will turn the fan on - so basically I'm in the situation of always having the fan on low or having the panel be off-center.

Any ideas?

-chase

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg

Maybe I'm missing something but, from your photos, it's not obvious how that trim piece can achieve any left-right position other than what's determined by the two mounting screws. That suggests that what you've got is the way it's meant to be. Maybe a 280 owner can verify.  Are you sure that the HVAC lever assembly has been correctly installed/aligned?

Are your mounting tabs behind the faceplate out of alignment? The "lever panel" in the 260/280 is fixed fairly stoutly left-to-right (though it moves up and down). The finisher shouldn't press up tight to the HVAC panel - there should always be a small gap there. Mine fits fine(ish) and I've never had any interference with any of the switches or levers.

After going out to take this picture (of my dirty vents) I'm struggling to understand why moving the finisher would cause your fan switch position to move... Are your lower levers resting (scraping) on the finisher? 

Mine is off-center too - maybe  not as much as yours. Wow, I need to clean...

20190810_165915.jpg

6 hours ago, cgsheen1 said:

Are your mounting tabs behind the faceplate out of alignment? The "lever panel" in the 260/280 is fixed fairly stoutly left-to-right (though it moves up and down). The finisher shouldn't press up tight to the HVAC panel - there should always be a small gap there. Mine fits fine(ish) and I've never had any interference with any of the switches or levers.

After going out to take this picture (of my dirty vents) I'm struggling to understand why moving the finisher would cause your fan switch position to move... Are your lower levers resting (scraping) on the finisher? 

Mine is off-center too - maybe  not as much as yours. Wow, I need to clean...

20190810_165915.jpg

Something must be out of alignment on mine, if that's how its supposed to look ?

The HVAC finish panel has 2 plastic dog ear tabs that slide onto (2) 8mm bolts that are on the outside of the metal frame of the control box.  What might have happened over time is someone has removed that stuff before and when reinstalling misaligned the finish panel with the right side tab on the inside (instead of outside) of that metal frame putting the left side further to the left. You'll need to remove the 4 black screw holding the big outer trim piece, then pull off the slider knobs. The two 8mm bolts on either side will need a small wrench to get in there.  You just need to loosen the bolts, not remove them,  and the HVAC panel should just pull out to reposition it.   One thing to look out for is that often those plastic tabs are broken and may need to be repaired which is not too difficult.

Edited by gwri8
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2019 at 8:17 AM, gwri8 said:

The HVAC finish panel has 2 plastic dog ear tabs that slide onto (2) 8mm bolts that are on the outside of the metal frame of the control box.  What might have happened over time is someone has removed that stuff before and when reinstalling misaligned the finish panel with the right side tab on the inside (instead of outside) of that metal frame putting the left side further to the left. You'll need to remove the 4 black screw holding the big outer trim piece, then pull off the slider knobs. The two 8mm bolts on either side will need a small wrench to get in there.  You just need to loosen the bolts, not remove them,  and the HVAC panel should just pull out to reposition it.   One thing to look out for is that often those plastic tabs are broken and may need to be repaired which is not too difficult.

gotcha - ill give it a shot, thanks!