IGNORED

S30 owners in Chattanooga area?

BoldUlysses

Hi guys.  I'm in the reassembly stages of a '72 240Z restoration.  My dad bought the car new in 1972 and it's been in the family ever since.  I disassembled it and kept the engine, trans, dash, wiring harnesses and a host of trim pieces with me here in Chattanooga, while he took the rest to back to where he lives in central NC and had the body restored, floor pans fixed, rust patched up, etc.  See attached pics.

In a few weeks, he's going to bring the car back to me so I can reassemble.  All the fasteners and smaller parts are bagged and labeled and I took notes during disassembly, but it would be wonderful to have another 240Z to compare to make sure I get the hose and wiring harness routing exactly right, etc.  Would anyone with an S30 in the Chattanooga area be willing to visit for an hour or so while I compare?  Beer (or another beverage of your choice) can be provided.

Thanks!

IMG_1539.jpg

20181114_111622.jpg

• Like 3

You lucky dog, someone else does all the hard, messy and boring work and you get to do the fun stuff!  I think there are a few members sort of near you but there is also hundreds of thousands of pics in the archives of every part of these cars. Make sure you let your Dad take it for a spin shes done.

Hahaha

Well it won't be fun if I install the dash and then forget a connector or 3 and have to remove it...  That's what I'm trying to avoid!

My dad will keep it in NC once it's done.  I'm just providing the extra time and hands...

• Like 2

I'm just south of you in GA with a 280. Not a 240, but close.  There is another member in Cleveland, @thumpgun , with a modded 240. I haven't heard from him in a while but maybe he will see this post.   Let me know If I could  help.

But before you start, download the 72' FSM here under the resources tab.  It will solve a lot of mysteries. 

Thanks guys.  It's not so much the connectors that I'm concerned about (fortunately they're all pretty distinct and I labeled the ones that would be easily confused) as the reassembly sequence.  My notes aren't as good as they should be; I got into the "take it all apart" zone a couple of times and forgot to record the order in which I was taking things off.

Will d/l the FSM.  Thanks for that.

Spent some time scrubbing the ol' L24 earlier...  More to go.

Picture0720191813_1.jpg

I got a notification from @gwri8 for this post. I'm in Cleveland but I don't have my car mobile right now. I have a lot of things off of it doing a bunch of installs. I have another rough stock '73 sitting covered up if you want to look at it and compare anything. There will be a few differences from '72 to '73.

As suggested load the FSM and there's also great wiring diagrams that can be downloaded. I also bought a laminated full color wiring diagram a few years ago and I think it's 11x17. And it was priced decently.

Just message me if you need and if I can help I'll try my best. Thanks for tagging me Greg. Good to hear from you. I'm still around slowly working on two car projects and moving soooo slow it's pathetic, lol.

• Like 2

One thing to consider before assembly is the condition of the original bolts and screws. Some will be great, others will be poor.  These aren't zinc plated but I found these to be useful to have on hand for replacements when needed.  Different lengths of course.   https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=M6+M8+M10+304+Stainless+Phillips+Hex+Bolts+SEMS+Screws+Group+Flat+Sping+Washer&_id=142002895203&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l46251

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I live close to Huntsville, AL and have an Feb. 71 car that is temporarily off the road due to a gas leak at the tank. You're welcome to come look at it and take pictures, etc. Otherwise ... depending on how long "a few weeks" is ... stay in touch and I'll head that way once I get the leak sorted out. If it matters, my car seems to be at the break between Series 1 and series 2 and as far as I know is original except I have removed the A/C and some of the bits off of the balance tube.

• Like 1