IGNORED

"Brand new" 280Z

brunodoggy

2 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

Hopefully the after market will take notice and make body parts a bit more available for Z's. Perhaps its just a numbers game, lot more mustangs were built and owned here so guess the demand is higher. My fav is the fast back 66, really like the looks of that car, and is one I would consider if I did not have access to a nice Z.

I know what you mean. I watch car shows where they can take any old muscle car and replace almost every piece of metal, trim, and interior with new replacements.

Even the S30 Z's have more access to reproduction parts than my S31 AE.

Maybe with the current rise in market values, reproduction parts will become more plentiful. Which, in turn, should increase the value of original cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is time for me to part with my beautiful 280Z. I just don't feel comfortable driving such an amazing car, and I don't want to keep her cooped up in my barn. Once she is gone, I will be looking for a nice "Driver" Z that I can drive while remembering this Queen. If you know anyone who would be interested, please pass the word. She is on BAT now.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-datsun-280z-39/

21 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Nov. is a tough time to sell a sports car.  Spring is best.

You are correct, but I don't think it will have as much of an impact on this car. I think this will probably go to a collector or museum as opposed to someone who is looking to have some fun on the road. Spring will be the time I'm looking for a nice "Driver" to enjoy.

2 hours ago, brunodoggy said:

Well it is time for me to part with my beautiful 280Z. I just don't feel comfortable driving such an amazing car, and I don't want to keep her cooped up in my barn. Once she is gone, I will be looking for a nice "Driver" Z that I can drive while remembering this Queen. If you know anyone who would be interested, please pass the word. She is on BAT now.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-datsun-280z-39/

Brunodoggy - looks like your car is up to $100k now. A car like yours will do well no matter what time of year you decide to put it up for auction. I think that $100k is just the starting point for your Z and I have a feeling that it will go for much higher than the current $100k bid. Good luck to you! 

1 hour ago, brunodoggy said:

You are correct, but I don't think it will have as much of an impact on this car. I think this will probably go to a collector or museum as opposed to someone who is looking to have some fun on the road. Spring will be the time I'm looking for a nice "Driver" to enjoy.

Sorry.... I agree 100%... your's is a unique rarity!   I was responding in a way to the election day timing consideration..... it was like back in the day releasing a single the same week the Rollings Stones did.

6 minutes ago, lonetreesteve said:

Brunodoggy - looks like your car is up to $100k now. A car like yours will do well no matter what time of year you decide to put it up for auction. I think that $100k is just the starting point for your Z and I have a feeling that it will go for much higher than the current $100k bid. Good luck to you! 

Thank you so much. I have worked hard on this car because I love it. I didn't really have any idea how much it would be worth - especially since it's a 280Z and not the coveted 240Z. It hasn't been about money, but the worth of it as a unique car. Saying that, the money is an amazing confirmation that this is a special car, deserving of the work that has been put into it.

Steve

• Like 1

@Brunodoggy, I just want to note how much I have enjoyed your story and comments throughout the thread. You were thoughtful and polite, gave us tons of great info, were courteous to the doubters and naysayers, and overall had a class approach to this really interesting and unique opportunity. I'm glad it has turned out so well for you, and I hope you have a set of memories that will last a lifetime.

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 1

Kind of a goofy question, but did you remove the struts and inspect the insides?  Check oil level and oil quality and seals?  Did you regrease the u-joints?

Also, did you change the engine oil, and if you did, did you use high zinc (ZDDP) oil?  At 355 miles the engine is barely broken in.

The car is almost more interesting in seeing what happens to those old parts over time.  If somebody decides to drive it will the seals disintegrate?

Zed,

We did not remove the struts - they looked in perfect condition with no indication of any leaks. All the rubber on the car is in "Magically" good condition - I have no idea how. Our objective was to fix what was necessary to make the car run and drive safely, but otherwise preserve the car "as we found it". Except cleaner. We did change the engine oil, and added Zinc additive. 

It is assumed that if the buyer of this car wants to put it on the road, they will probably have access to a top-notch mechanic to go over the car as they see fit.

4 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

@Brunodoggy, I just want to note how much I have enjoyed your story and comments throughout the thread

Thank you so much Pilgrim,

It has been a fun journey that is coming to a very unexpected and awesome end. I enjoyed the conversation on this excellent site. Next, I plan to find a nice "Driver" Z - probably a 240. I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions.

Steve