IGNORED

Franklin Mint Z

JLPurcell

3 hours ago, JLPurcell said:

Does anyone have the name and contact information for the restorer of the Franklin Mint 240Z? 

Thanks JLP

The "240ZGuild" didn't do anything to the car other than buy it and flip it on BaT.  The car was restored in the 1990's by Bill Reagan with additional work done by Banzai Motorworks subsequently to help get it up to gold medallion standards.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike B said:

The "240ZGuild" didn't do anything to the car other than buy it and flip it on BaT.  The car was restored in the 1990's by Bill Reagan with additional work done by Banzai Motorworks subsequently to help get it up to gold medallion standards.

Thats correct. The 'guild' were just the flippers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JLPurcell said:

Does anyone have the name and contact information for the restorer of the Franklin Mint 240Z? 

Thanks JLP

Bill Reagan an E.E. by profession - restored the car in his spare time over about one year. As a member of the Texas Z Car Club, he wrote a series of articles covering the restoration process for the Club's News letter. He also published a booklet that combined all the articles, and sold the booklet to help others.  He said he spent about $12K-$14K in 1990-92. Then sold it to Paul who then spent a ton of money on it between 92 and 95.

Wonder if the Texas Z Car Club still has any of the Newsletters in digital form? At one point I seem to recall them being on their Club Web Page...

BillReaganGuideSm.jpg

In the Articles Bill tells how the Z was saved from a trip to the Salvage Yard - when a tree fill on it. The damage would have totaled it out in 1990, but But Bill purchased it for $100.00 and started the restoration. So a large part of the amazing story about its history is how it went from $100.00 Datsun 240Z - to a $124,240.00 Datsun 240Z. All of which makes it quite unique..  even in the Pure Stock world.

Edited by Carl Beck
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jason240z said:

Based on reports

Fender/hood/cowl/battery tray area all replaced

inner wheel well andFirewall and frame rail damaged.

I'd guess that the BAT seller told the buyer and/or disclosed this in the auction? 

Good one!  I got a chuckle out of that last sentence.  Part of the fun of buying a car at auction, or any 50 year old used car, are the surprises that come to light after the sale.  All part of the adventure.  Used car salesmen, horse traders, military recruiters, Trojans bearing gifts.......they all bear watching and the exercise of due diligence.  Still chuckling.

Dennis 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, psdenno said:

Good one!  I got a chuckle out of that last sentence.  Part of the fun of buying a car at auction, or any 50 year old used car, are the surprises that come to light after the sale.  All part of the adventure.  Used car salesmen, horse traders, military recruiters, Trojans bearing gifts.......they all bear watching and the exercise of due diligence.  Still chuckling.

Dennis 

Glad my sarcasm came through ?

• Haha 1