IGNORED

Radio for 1972 240Z

oldZdoctor

Trapezoid is the correct shape.  The one I see on Ebay appears to have an AM/FM dial and the later style opening for the antenna control switch on the upper right.  Early faceplates had a vertical rocker switch instead of the smaller horizontal switch opening as seen in the item shown.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

And remember.. Hitachi is USA..  on European ground the 240z had Clarion radio's standard they were only AM and no auto tune..

Very interesting. Since there were such a small number of 240Zs that were imported to Europe, the Clarion radios you spoke of must be very rare and very expensive. I just recently purchased a Hitachi TM-1081ZA signal-seeking AM radio on eBay for my newly-purchased Series I 240Z and it cost me $1,225.00 plus shipping and insurance. The Hitachi TM-1081ZA came standard on all '70 and '71 240Zs in the North American market. With this in mind, the Clarion radios must be worth a small fortune!

Oeps that's a 1000 euro for a radio that (in europe) receives… eh.. almost nothing, because overhere there are very few AM stations left.. i tested one (and sold one) with a test transmitter i have on my radio/audio repair desk ..  (it transmits from 200kc till over 100 Mc.) 

These Clarion's have DATSUN on the dial glass  and 5 presets and only AM   also known as MW  (what stands for the german words:  "Mittel welle" what could be translated to: medium wave. )

4 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

And remember.. Hitachi is USA..  on European ground the 240z had Clarion radio's standard they were only AM and no auto tune..

I have a box full of Hitachi radios (both MW and MW/FM) liberated from UK market HS30Us.

If you look at the factory R-Drive Export parts manuals you can see that all the Hitachi audio equipment (including the stereo receivers and the 8-tracks) were available as optional equipment. European sales brochures and spec lists show the Hitachi AM radio as standard equipment.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, oldZdoctor said:

Can someone confirm the trapezoidal shape of the faceplate for the Hitachi model KM-1520ZC in 1972? Photos can be deceiving but I see a very rectangular KM-1520ZC on eBay described as OEM for DATSUN 240Z 9.71-9.73 

Datsun 9.71-9.73 240z OEM Hitachi AM:FM Radio KM-1520ZC | eBay.webarchive 7.26 MB · 15 downloads

Here's a picture of my faceplate for my OE radio in my '72.  You're going to need the metal back too.

EDIT: It does look rectangular in the 3rd photo. :huh:

1494106860050.jpg

1494104152227.jpg

1494106912563.jpg

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 2

Special thanks to siteunseen and jaa.series1 for photos. My 72 should look like siteunseen photos.  eBay offering would seem to have metal back since antenna switch in proper position...but metal appears integral to "guts" of radio, the metal case of which is  weathered/rusted. Or am I missing something? Phil

Datsun 9.71-9.73 240z OEM Hitachi AM:FM Radio KM-1520ZC | eBay.webarchive