IGNORED

Car stalled in driveway and now no power to fuel pump

Usain_Boat

Ok, its been a while but I now have turn signals back. One of the wires going to the reverse switch had broken off and was grounding out and blowing the flasher fuse. I replaced the switch since the wires were so stiff but now I don't have reverse lights. Both the old and new switch look the same and thread in but neither will turn the reverse lights on (I resoldered the old switch just to test). I know the circuit works because eliminating the switch by shorting the connector turns on the lights. My concern now is that the transmission is not hitting the switch. I have replaced the original 4 speed with a 280zx 5 speed but as far as I know the reverse switch is the same. 

On 6/23/2019 at 2:46 PM, SteveJ said:

Put the switch back in, without wires, put the car in reverse and check for continuity across the switch contacts.

Just tested, there is no continuity when the switch is unplugged and the transmission is in reverse.

10 hours ago, Usain_Boat said:

Ok, that's what I think as well how can I fix it?

There is either a problem with the lever that trips the switch or you need a switch with a longer plunger. Can you shine a flashlight into the transmission for a look?

I took a video and everything in the trans seemed to be working so I removed the O-ring that came with the switch and cleaned the bulb connections in the rear and now it works like it is supposed to. I'm honestly not sure why it wouldn't work before. 

• Like 2