IGNORED

Tires, Tires, Tyres

Mike

Crazy news...  after a call to the shop this morning, it looks like the tires I was considering are all no longer available (summer tires, in this size).  Yokohama S-drive, BFG Sport Comp2, and Michelin included...  Any remaining stock is on the other side of the country..  They do have other brands, but I'm not to excited about the choices.  All-seasons are available..

Just checked with Costco and they appear to have the BFG summer tires on their website.. Heading over to their shop to see if they are actually available.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Crazy news...  after a call to the shop this morning, it looks like the tires I was considering are all no longer available (summer tires, in this size).  Yokohama S-drive, BFG Sport Comp2, and Michelin included...  Any remaining stock is on the other side of the country..  They do have other brands, but I'm not to excited about the choices.  All-seasons are available..

Just checked with Costco and they appear to have the BFG summer tires on their website.. Heading over to their shop to see if they are actually available.

Have the shop ship them in or one of us can possibly ship them to you

41 minutes ago, Mike said:

FYI, I had to go with 205 50/R16 tires the last time I went for new tires just because it was easier to find a variety of better handling tires in that size. 

Thanks guys.  I went back to the shop today (Discount Tire) and they were able to order me a set of BFGoodrich G Force Sport Comp 2's.  It will take them a week to arrive, but, I like their extended warranty and they were willing to mount them on my rims.  Costco couldn't look up cars older than 1983, so, they weren't able to help me out.  The Yokohama S-Drive tires were just not available.

I did check out Tire Rack dot com, but, installers in my area want $30 a wheel for mount and balance!  Crazy...

Anyway, it looks like tire manufacturers are making cheddar on all-seasons and larger sizes.  Summer tires in this size are becoming extremely limited.

Screenshot 2019-05-13 15.21.13.png

• Like 3

After doing some research for my latest project (above), and past-experiences, here are some tire store reviews.  Ordered by my recommended shops first.

1. Discount Tire - Local and online presence.  Seems to be the best price for quality work and experience.  Full service for wheels/tires.
  2. Tire Rack (tirerack.com) - Online presence.  Great prices!  Tires shipped to you or local stores such as Pep Boys, Firestone, or other service stations.  Installation can be pricey.
  3. Costco - Good prices.  Only has support for 1983 or newer cars.  They may not install wheels/tires on a classic.  Great warranty and support, otherwise.
  4. Les Schwab - Decent prices, but, typically push you to buy their brands.  Team is mostly used to truck and farm equipment.  They will over tighten your lug nuts (experience) and warp your rotors.
  5. Firestone - Decent prices.  Not much experience other than shopping prices here.

Mike, I looked at tires for a while and decided I'm getting Continental ExtremeContact Sports for my 280Z, as soon as I finish putting the Z back together.  Probably through Tire Rack.  I had Conti's on my old 911 and loved them.  I got them from Tire Rack.  Of course, your mileage may vary.  ?

Edited by SoCalJim

10 hours ago, SoCalJim said:

Mike, I looked at tires for a while and decided I'm getting Continental ExtremeContact Sports for my 280Z, as soon as I finish putting the Z back together.  Probably through Tire Rack.  I had Conti's on my old 911 and loved them.  I got them from Tire Rack.  Of course, your mileage may vary.  ?

I did look a bit at Continental, but, didn't consider the brand due to a lack of experience.  Let us know how they perform, it looks like a good tire..

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+Sport&partnum=055WR6ECS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

^^ is that the one?

Yes, that it, Mike.  I had their ExtremeContact DW tires before, on a 911, and they gripped well, wore well, and were quiet.  Pleasure drives, mostly on twisty roads.  When I get tires for my Z, in the size shown in your link, I’ll report back.  Unfortunately, that’s probably not until at least mid-summer.

We run Conti EC Sports on the wife's Mini. They're a solid bang-for-the-buck tire although I'm not super happy about their ride quality. Don't shy away from Continental as a brand, they're one of the better ones out there along with Michelin and Bridgestone (the Firestones I suggested earlier are just re-branded Bridgestones).