IGNORED

Installing 2 post lift

z8987

Nice lift, but i will Always use a 4 post lift for my z cars.. esspecially 280zx and 300zx.. they are so heavy that they bend a little on a 2 post lift.. you can't open a door on a z32 when it's on a 2 post lift..  yeah.. opening is possible but try to shut it...

And.. should i say it... oh well... ofcourse you did what loads of mechanics do.. you put the 240z on that lift in the wrong way.. it should be lifted on the 4 jack-stand points.. not under the floor..  (for as far i can see, your's is not lifted on the jack-stand places.. (see manual..)   sorry..

(with the last MOT of my z32 the mechanic almost did this to my z32,  (Lift the body front by lifting it on the thin sheetmetal floor!..) That's why i'm Always with my car at a check..  I freakt out and told the chop owner that i did not want that mechanic (idiot) near my cars! )

2 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Nice lift, but i will Always use a 4 post lift for my z cars.. esspecially 280zx and 300zx.. they are so heavy that they bend a little on a 2 post lift.. you can't open a door on a z32 when it's on a 2 post lift..  yeah.. opening is possible but try to shut it...

And.. should i say it... oh well... ofcourse you did what loads of mechanics do.. you put the 240z on that lift in the wrong way.. it should be lifted on the 4 jack-stand points.. not under the floor..  (for as far i can see, your's is not lifted on the jack-stand places.. (see manual..)   sorry..

(with the last MOT of my z32 the mechanic almost did this to my z32,  (Lift the body front by lifting it on the thin sheetmetal floor!..) That's why i'm Always with my car at a check..  I freakt out and told the chop owner that i did not want that mechanic (idiot) near my cars! )

It’s not on the floor. I think that would nearly destroy the car

3 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Ok. I did a bunch of research and it appears that lots of people recommend jack placement in the same position I placed mine. It looks like the most obvious place, and appears to also be the strongest support area.  I did lower my car removing any stress. Thanks for the input. 

16 hours ago, z8987 said:

I had the insulation installed when it was made. I have a kerosine heater. I'd like to find some type of electric heat so I don't have to keep the doors open. Any ideas.

I chose 2 post over 4 because everybody that works around lifts day to day recommend them.  The 4 posts seem to be in the way a lot. 

If you are in a cold environment, electric heat will bankrupt you.  I am probably going to go with radiant tube heating in my shop, like they use in some factories.  My buddy has it in his 1,500 ft hanger.  He pays only about $40/month, and he keeps the temp at 65 all winter long.  When the heat is on, all of the surfaces are warm to the touch.  Even the floor.

I can see the benefit of being able to take the wheels off with the 2 poster. However, you would not be able to use it for storage.  I have been leaning toward the 4 poster, with a jack bridge option to get he wheels off.

8 hours ago, 240260280 said:

I'm with Patcon.  I have a small propane fireplace in my garage and a 100lb tank outside. Keeps it toasty and less cost than electricity.

With your chairs it would give a nice ambience ?

image.png

My shop is 40x60 with a 17’ roof. That probably won’t work, do you agree?