IGNORED

1977 280z 1jzgte swap

1jzs30

Hey I just joined here! IV been planning this build for  about 5 years now and finally been actively working on it in my free time here and there for about a year and a half! This is the first engine swap I have ever attempted and it now runs and drives! Next step is an exhaust system and then getting it on a Dyno for the standalone ecu to be fully tuned! Please ask any questions and im very open to suggestions as to what to do next, because it still is a bone stock 280z chassis... And that's not good due to the 400hp minimum I plan to make at the wheels. The engine is a 1jzgte out of a jzx90 the Toyota mark II , cresta , or the mark X as it's also refered to , basically it's the JDM version of  the Toyota Cressida that was sent to the states that I believe used a 5mge engine . Here is a list of all that I can think of that is done to the 1jz that is not stock!

Link g4+ monsoon stand alone ECU,Panic Wire harness,10lb flywheel, 264 cam shafts, Head ported (intake side only), Adjustable cam gears,

Eclutchmasters 6 puck unsprung clutch and pressure plate (stage 4)Drift Motion turbo kit Billet 6262 turbo (Garrett internals), manifold, wastegate tial replica, and 3" downpipe, Hks bov replica, Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, 440cc injectors,Bosch 044 fuel pump, Arp head studs, rear sump oil pan conversion, Aem wideband
Short throw shifter, a/c and p/s delete (shortened serpentine belt and new ribbed pulley on tensioner),vvti coils wasted spark setup, CX racing intercooler 

KIMG0838~2.JPG

KIMG0858~2.JPG

KIMG0856~2.JPG

KIMG0843~2.JPG

KIMG0831.JPG

KIMG0811.JPG

KIMG0721~2.JPG

KIMG0652~2.JPG

KIMG0714.JPG

Screenshot_20190209-221816~2.png

Screenshot_20190209-221709.png

Screenshot_20190209-222020.png

Screenshot_20190209-221908.png

Screenshot_20190209-221858.png

Screenshot_20190209-221834.png

Screenshot_20190127-124651.png

Screenshot_20190209-221808.png

Screenshot_20190209-221724.png

Screenshot_20190209-221732.png

Screenshot_20190209-221716.png

Screenshot_20190209-221642.png

Screenshot_20190211-162833.png

KIMG0514.JPG

KIMG0912.JPG

Edited by 1jzs30
Add picture

The transmission is a w55 out of a 04 lexus is300 it was very clean as you can see in the picture only 20 thousand miles on it.  I've read these are good for about 350 hp, although it's the torque in higher gears in my opinion is what will kill a transmission. I feel 400hp would be safeish  keeping in mind stay out of it in higher gears at least and don't be goosing it in 3rd and winding out the whole gear, but  because the z is so much lighter than an is300 probably helps alot I would think

10 hours ago, 1jzs30 said:

I saw a lsd out of a turbo zx on eBay the other day but didn't have $500, those are rare tho otherwise I have thought of eventually doing the r200 out of the Subaru and obviously custom axles but money eventually though!

$500 is cheap for an LSD and the Subaru route will set you back more than $500.

These cars take a lot of money to handle the kind of power you are talking about. In reality you really can't get it all to the ground with out a lot of work, maybe not at all. When you run that kind of power (approximately 4x's what the car had stock) you are going to break just about everything at some point. Unless you have 30-40k to put into it you should reevaluate your project. You basically have to re-engineer the entire car. My 2 cents

• Like 3

Hey Congrats,  I love a good engine swap and yours looks great, I can see all the work you have done to snug the engine in there and you have done some very good work.  Do you have any pics of the engine mounts?

But sort of like what Patcon said in post #9  you started with the fun, exciting part ( the engine) but really should have started with the hard part of the job, the re engineering of and old rubbery 280z.  Sure there are Z's out there with 800 hp but those cars have had considerable stiffening added or the 800hp is just bragging rights and the car is undriveable.

You might want to dial back the power until you have stiffened the car, wouldn't  want to put a permanent twist in the frame :facepalm:

Over on the Hybridz forum there are hundreds of threads that deal specifically with this topic,  here is a current thread, https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/127659-another-datsun-zls3t56-swap-thread/

by Ironhead, he has done amazing work reworking the car to handle the power output of an LS engine. The easiest way to add strength and stiffness to your 280 is to add an internal roll cage that extends into the engine bay and back behind the rear wheels. Have a look through those 9 pages to get some ideas. 

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the replys and suggestions/ knowledge so far this is exactly what I needed/wanted! Money has and always will be the issue lol with that said I will definitely get that Ron Tyler designed diff mount, and once the car is tuned maybe keep the power around 300 for a while . And then work on suspension and disc brakes, than keep going from there slowly. I love this car, I have had it 11 years with the exception of trading it for a Supra and trading the Supra for another car than trading that car for my z back 6 months to a year later, obviously I can never get rid of it now and twisting the frame would be just awful! Exactly why I joined here I wasn't aware of what the car could or couldn't handle. Thank you!

Edited by 1jzs30
Typo