z8987

I've been looking for a project

google.com any questions you have and always include classiczcars.com in your search.

"ztherapy rebuild kit classiczcars.com"

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-americamovil-us-revc&source=android-home&source=hp&ei=y5RkXMCzMZK2tQXdyrmoAQ&q=ztherapy+rebuild+kit+classiczcars.com&oq=ztherapy+rebuild+kit+classiczcars.com&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.12...2604.21327..22299...0.0..0.199.5638.1j36......0....1.......5..41j0j46i131j0i10j46i10j0i10i30j33i299j33i160j33i22i29i30.H4upG4wXJgU

I bought the rebuild kits and they came with the dvd. Never touched the inner parts of a caberurator before, watched the video a few times and rebuilt mine to new working condition. Take your time and plenty of pictures for reference. Soaking the parts in lacquer thinner then buffing them out with 0000 steel wool made like new. Good luck!

Edited by siteunseen

2 hours ago, z8987 said:

I really can't do this witout you guys. I'm learning I now know what you mean by the piston, and oil.  I turned it upside down, and guess what there's oil in it.  Not the proper amount now, but there was oil. What type of oil and how much?? 🙂  

The pistons are black and it took a little work to wiggle them out.   I'll attach a picture.  Can I just clean these up, add oil then try the start sequence again? should the carbs be pulled rebuilt ?   I'd sure like to hear it run before I dig much deeper. 

012c93336509e3169253ecfa45c559a81a2cd70285.jpg

0138606f98165f674560d15bc4e4d0cab24485626e.jpg

Rule #1, DON'T BEND THE BRASS NEEDLE that protrudes from the piston bottom. Start with a can of lacquer thinner, a soft brush, and some cotton rags. Clean every surface that you can reach. All those black surfaces in the pic are actually aluminum. When everything is clean reassemble the piston and dome onto the carb. The piston should slide up and down with no interference. Add 20 wt oil or ATF to the fill line on the small black stem. It might be a good idea to take a look in the float chambers to see if there's any flotsam or jetsom in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Maras said:

Rule #1, DON'T BEND THE BRASS NEEDLE that protrudes from the piston bottom. Start with a can of lacquer thinner, a soft brush, and some cotton rags. Clean every surface that you can reach. All those black surfaces in the pic are actually aluminum. When everything is clean reassemble the piston and dome onto the carb. The piston should slide up and down with no interference. Add 20 wt oil or ATF to the fill line on the small black stem. It might be a good idea to take a look in the float chambers to see if there's any flotsam or jetsom in there.

She started.  wood

• Like 1
    • Haha 1

I'm going to clean the fuel lines with carb cleaner, and I ordered a new inline fuel filter. I should have ordered a couple now that I think of it.  now the I know the car runs I'm willing to tear into it further.  I think I'll pull the carbs off for cleaning and start replacing all the hoses. 

Believe it or not, I just checked in the glove box.  First time.  All the receipts and records for the car since 1982, when it was bought by the family I bought it from.  They bought it in 1982, ever mile is documented since 1982. Every drive, and every mile documented in the same type of note pad I use.  And get this, he bought it from a lady that lived on the same street I use to live on in Sacramento.  As a matter of fact, it may be the same complex because it's a short street, and if I recall there is only one apartment complex and a cemetery.  

18 hours ago, z8987 said:

She started.  wood

That's all?  What did you do?  How did it run?  Did it idle?

I'm a little confused about the year of the car. The title in 1982 says it's 1971. The most current title says it's a 1970.  The vin  is the same on all the titles it's hls3008987.  What is the actual year? 

Production models made after Sept (9), are generally classed as the next model year. Example: production date (on the door jamb) 9/75 is a 1976 model.

1 minute ago, wheee! said:

Production models made after Sept (9), are generally classed as the next model year. Example: production date (on the door jamb) 9/75 is a 1976 model.

I don’t think there is a door plate! Is there another way to tell

With a VIN like that, it is probably a 71 model , built in late 70

20 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

The build date might mean something.

Where would that be if there is no door plate?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Where would that be if there is no door plate?

I missed the fact that he was missing the door plate.  My misstake.

There's a list of VIN's out there somewhere.  His slot in the table might tell.

It looks to me from searching vins on this site that H L S 3 0 - 0 8 9 0 6 is a 1971.  Mine being 0987 would also make it a 71.  The fact that the door plate is gone, and the oldest title has it as a 71, makes me believe that the guy I bought it from did something to change the title to 70.  I was pretty happy with the fact that it's a 70.  I know it's still a good deal, but there was a little pride in knowing I had a 70.  Weird how I got there, especially when i knew nothing about Z's until I got this car. I always liked the looks, but never got into them.

Is there any benefit to the changing of the year from 71 to 70?  

its a 1970 build.  final 1970 cars were around 18000ish?

Edited by Jason240z
    • Like 1

Just now, Jason240z said:

its a 1970 build.  final 1970 cars were around 13000ish?

According to this https://web.archive.org/web/20131128034951/http://www.editgrid.com/user/mlwilliams/Z_Car_Registry The car was made in 1970, but is a registered 1971.  I found other sources like this that lead me to believe the same thing.  I'm not going to take the time to re-register it as 71

1 minute ago, Jason240z said:

its a 1970 car, just maybe registered in 1971.

Its birth was 1970.

yes

17 minutes ago, z8987 said:

yes

It's possible that my car is the first automatic. 

I

43 minutes ago, z8987 said:

It looks to me from searching vins on this site that H L S 3 0 - 0 8 9 0 6 is a 1971.  Mine being 0987 would also make it a 71

f the 0 is actually an 8...

image.png

• Like 1