IGNORED

I've been looking for a project

z8987

I took the register and cleaned it up. The tracks were all full of dried up grease. Some of the grease took a screw driver to  get out.  I had to pull all the tracks to clean them.  Cleaned the register in my parts cleaner, and then I did a final cleaning with the products in the picture.  All gun oil and grease. 

The good news I got it back together and it works.  I adjusted everything by rolling the window up and down finding the smoothest place for each of the tracks and tightening them up.  I left all the tracks a little bit loose and rolled the window up and down until one of the tracks  stopped moving, when it stopped I tightened it up. that worked pretty well. It doesn't seem to be binding up.  

unnamed.jpg

• Like 2

About the plastic guide rollers on the ends of the lift arms - A friend of mine took his regulators to a local Machine Shop - they removed the original rivets and found plastic guide rollers that would work -then riveted the new one’s back on. You could also use a bolt on type - just cut the bolt off and spot weld..
Something like these…

With 50 year old cars - sometimes you just have to make the part..
good luck,
Carl

13 hours ago, z8987 said:

I got the regulator out.  The plastic slides are worn out. Do I replace these, or buy a new regulator?  And where do I get these parts.  Zcardepot doesn't seem to have them. 

IMG_2640.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

You look at motorsports.com, MSA.

I'm just starting to get ready to pull of my door card. I've got the small pry thing for the plastic push ins.

Do have any tips that might help me since it's fresh on your mind? I would appreciate it.  BTW I'm fixing my door opening rod and installing a new mirror. Thanks!

3 hours ago, siteunseen said:

There's a video on that site.  Thank you very much!

I ordered some of the grommets he mentioned.  you can buy 4 at a time now. I ordered 12 just in case.  I'm trying to only do work that I can put back together in a day. I really like driving the car so I don't wan it to be down. .