IGNORED

Antenna Mounting Hardware

qz16

I have a 1973 240z that I am restoring.  I am trying to re-install the factory electric antenna.  It does work.

Attached are two photos.  The first attempts to show the mounting hardware in the order that I believe the various pieces should be assembled.  I tried to show what is above and what is below the quarter panel.  The second photo is of the assembled pieces.

I believe that I have all of the pieces above the quarter panel.  I have two questions:

1. Am I missing any pieces?

2. Just below the quarter panel I have what I believe is a grounding ring.  It has prongs that are bent upward to contact the panel when everything is tightened.  There is a stranded metal strap attached to the grounding ring with prongs and there is a mounting ring at the other end of the strap.  What does this mounting ring attach to?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

antenna_hardware.jpgantenna_hardware_2.jpg

@qz16

Not an expert, in spite of what my best friend Jim said, but I have had several antenna apart.

Your order is correct.

The pronged ring goes against the inner surface of the body.

The lower ring goes under the last metal cup against the metal of the antenna tube. It acts as a ground point.

Hope this helps and, and please post up some photos of your restoration!

We all always love seeing photos of owners efforts!

• Thanks 1

zup, cant thank you enough.  i thought that is where it might go, but there is a support strap or bracket that mounts between the antenna body and the fender well and that also grounds the base.  i am sure you are correct it probably is a good idea to ground the metal mast as quickly as possible.

once again thank you.

1 hour ago, qz16 said:

zup, cant thank you enough.  i thought that is where it might go, but there is a support strap or bracket that mounts between the antenna body and the fender well and that also grounds the base.  i am sure you are correct it probably is a good idea to ground the metal mast as quickly as possible.

once again thank you.

You are correct in needing the motor grounded to the body.  On early cars it is a narrow strap bolted to the bottom of the motor and then attached to the body with a wing nut down in the well.  Look at Dan's photo and see the right angle bracket at the bottom?  On later cars that bracket is bolted directly to the pinch weld at the top of the well.  Hope this helps.

Edited by jfa.series1