IGNORED

dash restoration

26th-Z

Ok, finally got a couple shots of material samples sent from DR.

The first is ID 'corinthian', that I believe is the same as what is in the photos biker took at the plant, and their recommendation.

The second is ID 'haircell', which I feel better represents the original texture of a Z dash....only 'elevation' is inverted...as mentioned previously.

Good zedn'

Great photos I like the second one - did you say haircell? - as my pic to the closest original look. The first one looks like my dash cover. I would love to do the interior in leather. Leather dash would be rich.

• 2 weeks later...

I used The NewDash Group in Chandler AZ. for my 71. It was 10 yrs. ago, but the price complete, with shipping to and from Fla. was $425. Dash still looks like new. Their # is 800-283-2744. Hopefully they are still in business.

Just reviewing their web site and they list that they can "do" the centre console of the 240z.

Anyone had one of these done by them or anyone looked into whats involved in their process?

Joseph Gauci

240 in OZ

Originally posted by Alan Pugh

I've sent my 260 dash to Dashboard Restorations, should have it back in a week or so.

Hi Alan,

Now you're the guinea pig!! Let us know what you think of the whole process and definitely post some pictures!!

We're counting on you.

-- Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, got my dash back today from Dashboard Restorations.

Cost: $390 (US$261.30)

Colour: Black

Vinyl pattern: Haircell

Very very happy with the whole thing. Spoke to Jim Kirk on a few occasions and can't speak highly enough of the service offered and general good nature of the man.

Jim used to restore Mercedes and got his dashboards restored at Dashboard Restorations. He is now semi retired and the owner of same, Works 4 days a week and from what I can tell over the phone loves what he is doing. For those that don't know the geography I am in Melbourne and Jim is in Brisbane some 2000 kms apart, so I couldn't drop in.

I took some pictures at work today but the good camera was out on site so I do appologise for the quality. I have put them in my gallery.

Being the never ending critic I am and having been ripped off in the past I marked the old foam in several places to make sure I got all new foam as advertised. I can assure everyone all the foam has been replaced with new, and I also marked the metal frame and that is mine aswell. My wife tells me i'm paranoid but you never know.

The dash is covered in grey vinyl and then colour sprayed to the finished color. This surprised me at first but have been assured that the dyes used are of excellent quality and actually impregnate the vinyl surface not just sit on top. not one of the blokes at work picked this and all agree that the dash looks brand new.

The whole experience has taken just over 2 weeks with 6 days of that being transport to and from.

I am now in the process of repairing my console and am going to send that off as well.

If anyone wants to know anything iv'e forgotten please let me know and I will try to answer it.

Alan.

post-1769-14150792755764_thumb.jpg

Nice!! Thanks for the follow-up on this. I'm sure many people will find this useful.

If I don't get my new dash in another week or so, I'm going to cancel the order and try this method. I ended up purchasing a new dash because it was available (and extremely rare). However, when the dash arrived, it had a cut in the plastic. So, I returned it on an exchange basis.

Anyway, thanks again!!

-- Mike