IGNORED

dash restoration

26th-Z

Originally posted by 26th-Z

...send the dash with fittings, gauges, vents, etc. to the Vancouver, Washington bulk shipper and they would send it to Austrailia - six weeks - $582 US. ... They also said they were shipping first week of July.

Quite a bit different than the $450 we were discussing earlier. Is that because the exchange rates are going up, or are you having something different done? And I assume they're saying 6 weeks from when they ship in the first week of July, so actually about 7 weeks from now plus 6 weeks turnaround? Did they mention how often they ship? Do they ship it directly back to you, or to Washington, and do you pay shipping from Washington back to you?

My you're full of questions! Go to the website, my man. They ship as often as they get a full cargo container. Their price includes shipping to and from down under, but I will have to pick up the tab from Washington to Florida and back. For all that trouble, hot pink sounds like the ticket! I just talked to Carl Beck of www.Zhome.com and he advises the surface texture is not the same and that he notices, but that was an $800 "Just Dashes" restoration and not the Aussie connection we are discussing. Either way, its all better than a dash cap or a cracked dash in my opinion. I'm probably going to spend as much as I would for a new series 1 dash, if I could find one, and if this works, I think I will send out my spare cracked dash for future E-bay gouging. Oh, I don't think they will assemble the wiring harness and such. Just check for fit.

Originally posted by 26th-Z

My you're full of questions!

Yup. I always try to know what I'm getting into before I jump.

Go to the website, my man.

Been there, but details are not generally put on sites like this. I'll fill out there form now, though to get directly in their loop.

Either way, its all better than a dash cap or a cracked dash in my opinion.

Yup. If I could get an actual original 1969 vintage dash I might do it, but I gather you can't. Dash cap never really thrilled me either.

Oh, I don't think they will assemble the wiring harness and such. Just check for fit.

Have to find out if they want you to leave it all together, or take it apart first and send all the pieces so that they don't have to.

Thanks for the research :classic: .

I am going to probably have to start work early tomorrow which means I will have to drive the Datto in - Darn:D

Starting early in my eyes means finishing early. (Hope the boss agrees)

So, I will make a bee line to Dashboard Restorations after work and suss out what they do for the money.

Will get back to you'se all partners:classic:

biker

Sounds like this is what you want to do, Mike. I am restoring HLS30-00026 and I am convinced. Yea, its going to cost plenty, but all I hear is; "if I had a series 1 dash, I'ld want well over a grand for it". What do you have, #215? Its worth it. Biker might shed some new light, but me thinks this story will add lots of value to my car. I phoned the guy in Washington and he told me not to worry about sending all the fittings. He says they have done so many Z dashes that they know what to do. I want some holes left closed so I am going to tape notes to the dash. Sounds like our dashes might go together. Good luck and let me know how this turns out.

Hey Guys

I have just visited dashboard restorations and followed this up with a conversation with Jim Kirk, the owner.

The story goes that they can turn around the dash in around six weeks. If you contact their Washington handler, he will arrange everything for the money you pay (customs, shipping, payment). If you contact them they will kindly return your call and explain everything they need.

They do not need your gauges as they use their own to make sure that it is a true size. They would prefer that you leave in the vents.

I cannot give you the cost as they can only quote me what it costs here which doesn't include shipping and customs.

The company has been in the business for 16 years now and when they bring in a container load it consists of all kinds of dashes. They are shipping on a regular basis.

I have taken a couple of photos of the Zed dash they have in the shop which is out of a 260Z.

This is the website company in Australia. I www.dashboardrestorations.com.au

This is Jim Kirks email address which he checks on a daily basis I believe. export@dashrestorations.com