IGNORED

918 Orange paint mix

SpeedRoo

Seems to be hard to find accurate modern paint to match the original 918 Orange from 1970 to 1973. Does anyone know the colour mix (not the code) now used to get close to the original colour. I'm after the white/black/red/yellow type mix. I'm having the bottom of one of the inspection hatches scanned today but wanted a formula to have as a reference. Ore even better someone that has painted their car recently and found an accurate match.

Roo

26 minutes ago, SpeedRoo said:

I did order some touch-up paint from a PPG supplier and it was not even close to the original on my car, hence the question.

aut

Yeah, that's not even close. I wonder if it would look like that if you went to an actual PPG autobody paint supplier? Not a third party vendor

Just got back from Sherwin Williams. Left them the original inspection hatch to match too, will be interesting to see what they come up with. One of the problems is the original paint had lead and other pigments in it which seem to be outlawed today. I want to retain as much of the interior paint as possible so hopefully it will be a good match.

Did you have a paint code sticker by the radiator to identify it with?  The reason I ask is that according to my monitor (calibrated) your color looks closer to 110 red.  Both colors were available on the 240.  I know there are a ton of variables (camera being the 1st one) when viewing on line.

https://zcarguide.com/datsun-240z-stock-paint-and-interior-colors-us-and-canada/

• Like 2

That's a tough call.   know the sticker says 918 but it sure looks like 110 to me as well.  I bought some touch-up 918 off amazon.com and it matched perfectly.

Here's some pics of the two I've owned, 110 and 918.

918 original single stage paint from '72 in different lighting...

1460756579343.jpg

DSC00465.JPG

DSC00764.JPG

110 original paint from '72...

DSC01605.JPG

DSC01580.JPG

green wire.jpg

DSC01604.JPG

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

That's a tough call.   know the sticker says 918 but it sure looks like 110 to me as well. 

I agree.  (and, 110 oxidizes toward orange over the years - even so, it's always completely different than 918 which is definitely a "burnt orange" without any apparent red in the tint - and 918 would never oxidize toward red) 

The engine bay is probably not the place to look for original color.  Best to look for the factory overspray on the interior of the car.  Check the spare tire well first, but it may have been shot over as well.  Definitive proof is usually under the vinyl on the pillars...

If it's 110 - oxidized 110 - the color you get from a supplier from their stock formula will never match the oxidized paint.  It will be a deeper red.  Remove one of your side maker lights and look at the paint underneath.  You may see that it's darker, more red.  If so, it isn't stained - that's the original unoxidized color. 

• Like 2

Thanks Matthew, did just the same search as you suggested and still wasn't any closer to an answer. Will see what the paint shop comes back with. I think my cheapy camera phone isn't great at colours. Will dig out a decent camera and see what I get. Had a similar problem with another of my cars. The original factory formula for yellow (Giallo Modena) was nothing like what was on the car. Had to custom match to get it right. It looks pretty good now.

Roo

20176901A.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...