IGNORED

Storing Emrty Fuel Tank

chiefmd

In the process of rebuilding my 77 280z. Pulled the tank and cleaned out the rust. I am not going to be reinstalling it until at least next year so I would like to  know if anyone has any suggestions as to how to store so that it won't

rust again.

I take the tank off my motorcycle every year for winter storage. Drain it completely and then (on a nice sunny dry fall day), let it outside in the sun to dry for the day.

Once it's completely dry inside, I put it in the basement where there is a dehumidifier. Doesn't rust if you keep the humidity low with the dehumidifier.

28 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

when I was in college I would drive my RM250 up a flight of stairs, park it under a raised up bunk bed in the dorm, and pull the fuel tank and put it on the outside window ledge...

That definitely sounds like college!

1 hour ago, Dave WM said:

when I was in college I would drive my RM250 up a flight of stairs, park it under a raised up bunk bed in the dorm, and pull the fuel tank and put it on the outside window ledge...

That's a great story!  

Before going on vacation I wanted to put my KX80 inside my Mom's upstairs apartment.  Never considered the perpendicular railing that met me at the top.  One of the dumbest things I've done so far.  I was 13 then and close to 50 now so I'm sure they'll be more to come. LOL 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dave WM said:

Wait!! I knew you looked familiar!!  You're D-Day, right?

You almost ran over me one night while I was playing guitar on the stairs!    :beer:

• Like 1

Ok. After doing some more research and reading I think the suggestion to use POR 15 is the winner. I have cleaned out the tank with Evaporust and its is really clean. I was wondering if I need to use POR 15's complete kit, marine cleaner, metal and sealer or can I just add the sealer? Thanks for all the input.

Seems like solving a problem that doesn't exist.  Tank sealants are designed to seal holes, and they come with their own risks, like clogged ports, failed drying/curing, etc.  You have a nice clean tank apparently.  On the other hand, if you're just looking for another project, why not?

I'd hang some silica gel inside and seal it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dry-Packs-40-g-Silica-Gel-Dehumidifier-DP40CAN/303044548?cm_mmc=|THD|&mid=sxTI6Qz12|dc_mtid_890389n25185_pcrid_247839744665_pkw__pmt__product_303044548_slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3aDvwKvy3QIVGNRkCh1EgAYVEAQYASABEgKdo_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJT578Wr8t0CFdILrQYd54gIlg