SteveJ

ZCON 2018 Roll Call

I was going to try and be part of the action, but my schedule is very tight with work. I was considering going on the charity guided tour but did not sign up before it was closed out. Not sure about the self guided drive as I really wanted to visit some with the folks here on the group and not sure about if that is a problem (running with the folks that did register). Any way hope to catch up with folks sometime, I still plan to drive up around the Blairsville Ga area on a house hunting trip soon.

6 hours ago, Dave WM said:

I was going to try and be part of the action, but my schedule is very tight with work. I was considering going on the charity guided tour but did not sign up before it was closed out. Not sure about the self guided drive as I really wanted to visit some with the folks here on the group and not sure about if that is a problem (running with the folks that did register). Any way hope to catch up with folks sometime, I still plan to drive up around the Blairsville Ga area on a house hunting trip soon.

Are you here in Atlanta? If you are we need to catch up!

On 10/15/2018 at 9:50 PM, gnosez said:

I made it to Hollins, VA, a 678 mile almost no hassle slog in 10 hours towing the race car. Depending on traffic tomorrow I should be there by mid-day. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

John, It would be nice to meet you in person! I'm the 6-5 guy with the long dark pony tail

17 hours ago, Pat Carr said:

Here are a few photos from today's activities. The brief rain interrupted the Chili Party. Tomorrow is the judged car show.

P1140766.JPG

P1140747.JPG

P1140768.JPG

P1140771.JPG

P1140780.JPG

P1140782.JPG

Pat

Please keep an out for me too. Cody and I are in Atlanta

8 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Are you here in Atlanta? If you are we need to catch up!

here in Orlando, I was trying to see if I could combine a family business trip (Columbus Ga) with a side trip and meet some of the folks here from the forum. Running out of time to try and plan it.

1 minute ago, Dave WM said:

here in Orlando, I was trying to see if I could combine a family business trip (Columbus Ga) with a side trip and meet some of the folks here from the forum. Running out of time to try and plan it.

I understand. If it happens let me know. The next Zcon is in Branson, I believe

3 hours ago, 240260280 said:

I saw Jeff in a photo!

And Eiji's 240zg...drool!

Please say Hi to Mad Make from Janet and I... we may be in Dallas and will visit to make it up... fair warning to @jfa.series1 too!

If you make it to Dallas, we'd love to host you and Janet for a meal.  Keep us posted on any plans to be in the area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jfa.series1 said:

If you make it to Dallas, we'd love to host you and Janet for a meal.  Keep us posted on any plans to be in the area. 

Miss having you here Jim!!!

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

Miss having you here Jim!!!

Thanks Charles,

My wife recently completed a long run of prednisone and the withdrawal left her with fatigue and body aches, now subsiding.  She was in no shape to travel so we had to cancel our plans for ZCON.  You, the Jims, Cliff, and others will have to party just a wee bit harder to cover for us.  See you all next year in Branson I hope.

Jim

I'll be coming in tomorrow early afternoon.  I filled up with a bad tank of gas earlier today and hope I can work it out before I leave.  Where are all the CZCC hanging out?

You can see people were really hustling to get their cars ready for the Judged Car Show.

Video courtesy of Split Frame Studios (http://splitframestudios.com) who is one of the companies providing video and photo services to ZCON this week.

I should add that there was some very light rain at the car show, but that did not dissuade any of the participants. We had about 100 cars entered into the show. The judges were busy...and thorough.

Here's proof that preparing for the Judged Car Show can make you dog tired.

DSC01412.JPG

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Patcon said:

Pat

Please keep an out for me too. Cody and I are in Atlanta

Will do. I'll be leading one of the mountain drives tomorrow, then heading to autocross and karting to spectate.

• Like 1

Cliff is picking us up at the airport at 10:00 AM tomorrow morning and the plan is to head directly to the track and meet up with Jai (RedWing). Cliff will be there until late Saturday. Looking forward to meeting y'all. I've been practicing my language skills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

And I heard from Cliff. He and Mark headed straight to the track from the airport. Looking forward to seeing everyone!!!

We'll be there Friday around lunch.  I laughed when I got the invite to the pool party a few minutes ago, now I know why. LOL

See all you guys tomorrow. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

There are at least three sets of flat tops at the show.

It's a movement!!!

Like a bowel movement?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madkaw said:

I’m jealous , but also happy for you guys. Looks like the weather is nice . 

The weather is fabulous. Wish you were here. ?

Tonight we had the presentations by Matsuo San & Peter Brock. Randy Jaffe and I joked with John Morton that he could just correct Pete where he was wrong.

Matsuo San approached me about two hours prior to the session for help with his pictures, so I made a quick and very dirty powerpoint for him to show his pictures and tell his story. Of course, I made a copy of the picture folders after asking his permission. He was was talking to me about a couple of the photos, and I was able to tell him the terms used by Americans. He mentioned the option for the rally clock, and I opened up @zclocks website. Ron - He asked me to print a copy of it for him. I need to remember to give it to him. Eiji Hosami said that Matsuo San loves coming to the conventions. Back home he is just another grandfather. Here, he is a rock-god! He entertained us with stories about his early design work with Nissan on the 410 and 510. He followed up with his presentation on the 240Z that I helped with. He OWNED the house. It didn't hurt that Eiji did a fantastic job of translating for Matsuo San. @Diseazd- I didn't have a chance to thank Eiji afterward. Please send me a PM with his email address so I can craft a proper note of appreciation.

It was a tough act to follow, but Peter Brock isn't your typical following act. You could hear the emotion in his voice as he talked about Mr. K and what he did for Peter. I sensed the pain one feels when recalling a lost friend. It was great to hear about how they developed the Z for SCCA racing and how they managed the 70 campaign to keep John eligible for the championship despite the teething pains of breaking in a new car. John didn't say much, but I have learned that it's good to pay close attention to what he does say. He elaborated on what Peter said about the challenges of the crankshaft, mentioning the patch added to the early oil pans to compensate for the issues with the harmonics.

After that John, Peter, and Matsuo San sat for an autograph session. I showed Gayle where registration was, and joked around about them not bringing merchandise to sell. She told me about Peter's travelling schedule, and I replied that it made me appreciate my anonymity. Finally I ended up talking with Johnnie Gable about the video she shot of the Atlanta convention in 1995. There are many Easter eggs in the videos that I have to look for.

It's track day at Road Atlanta tomorrow and the People's Choice/Z Nationals show on Saturday. I expect in excess of over 400 cars for that show.

Edited by SteveJ
  • Like 1