IGNORED

Advice on this 1980 on CL

Johnny Danger

40 minutes ago, Johnny Danger said:

I guess I'm on track to get banished to the HybridZ forum? 

You will find this forum is pretty tolerant overall. Much more so than HybridZ. They do some really cool stuff at HybridZ and have come up with some really neat swaps that are efficient and cost friendly, but tolerant, not so much.

If you know what you are looking for as far as color then don't just pic between these two cars. There are tons of ZX cars available. Don't be afraid to go out a little farther to look for cars. If you find one in a different state then maybe there is a member there close by that will look at it for you or you can post the ad and we can pick it over. Also I have owned a black Z wouldn't want another one, especially in Texas.

Try this to widen your search www.searchtempest.com

48 minutes ago, Johnny Danger said:

The black car has some things I need to get a closer look at, but it honestly speaks to me more. As long as the fenders aren't flying off I can drive it as is.

If you like it, buy it.  Every car that any forum member owns here probably has 50 other members who wouldn't have bought it.  Some members have never even driven their cars.  Something for everybody here.

Take a pocketful of cash over there and take it for a test drive.  

• Like 3

Again, I do appreciate everyone's input. And again, you don't get a name like this by making good decisions.

But on a serious note, when I go to check this thing out, where should I look extra hard for hidden rust issues. I know the floorboards and frame rails are the big ones, but you mentioned the spare tire area. Am I mainly looking underneath the rear mat/carpet or am I also looking for rust underneath in that area?

Thanks!

The spare tire well on a ZX is on the passenger side behind the panel. Unlike the S30, the spare tire is stored vertically and water can collect at the bottom. You wouldn't see it unless you removed the spare tire. I swiped these images from google...

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

21 hours ago, Patcon said:

The condensed version: Buy the best body and paint you can afford, all the other stuff is easier to over come. Paint jail is not and rust is a slow death waiting...

Best advice ever. I would add make sure it’s the color you like. 

Five years ago I sold my families favorite Z because no ac and the color sucked. Sold it for 7k. Kid I sold it to totaled 2 weeks later and got 10k from insurance. I just couldn’t justify spending 8k on a 7k valued car. My daughter had hopes it was going to be hers. 

Somone put $$$ in that car. Luckily I only had $3600 in it. 

23 hours ago, psdenno said:

Looks like a little delamination on the trailing edge of the left rear fender flair.  I'm sensing "lipstick on a pig" with this one.

Dennis

Oh I missed that. They almost looked like metal flares. It’s flares, not flairs right? I always forget. 

1 hour ago, JSM said:

It’s flares, not flairs right? I always forget. 

Only a slight insignificant difference.  Kind of like the story I heard on the news yesterday about the lady who thought she was lighting a candle during a recent power outage and it turned out to be a stick of dynamite.

https://people.com/human-interest/connecticut-woman-blows-off-hand-mistaking-dynamite-for-candle/

Dennis

• Sad 1