IGNORED

1970 HLS30-06521 Re-Restoration

CanTechZ

I will be sending my shell to the body shop soon, so I have been designing a support frame with casters that I can attach to the bottom of the chassis. I will use this to get the shell onto a deck truck for transport, and to use during the reassembly process. It is similar to what @inline6did, main difference with mine is that it is a fully bolted Unistrut construction, as I have no access to a welder at home.  Here is an image of the final concept.

image.png

This morning I finished doing some pre-assembly, test fits and checks for any missing any hardware. So far it has gone together without issue, kind of like the Meccano set I had as a kid. Here are a few pics,

20220121_062524.jpg

20220121_062543.jpg

20220121_062626.jpg

I will be completing this project over the weekend, and will post pics with it fully installed.

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 4

Kudos for illustrating that -- for certain applications, anyway -- there are choices other than welding.  Reminds me of a friend (also located in BC) who successfully built a rotisserie frame for his 240Z project from wood.

Looking forward to your photos.

Edited by Namerow
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Namerow said:

Kudos for illustrating that -- for certain applications, anyway -- there are choices other than welding.  Reminds me of a friend (also located in BC) who successfully built a rotisserie frame for his 240Z project from wood.

Looking forward to your photos.

Welding is the typical method for something like this, besides not having a welder, I just wanted to try something different.  Bolted does offer other benefits, like allowing for easy adjustments or reuse for another project.

Great idea your friend had on the wood frame rotisserie, I would like to see a picture of it in use. People tend to work with materials they are comfortable working with.  I wonder if he is a member of the local club I'm part of, the BC Z Car Registry.

Also late yesterday I picked up the caster plates that I had a friend make. This was the only part I had to actually make for this project, I gave them a quick coat of primer last night and did a test fit this morning. My son will be helping me with final assembly tomorrow. I neglected to tell him that part of job was helping me clean up the garage as well. Lol

20220122_062158.jpg

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I made and installed four diagonal braces to complete my rolling chassis support. Deb, my better half, has renamed it "The Two Forty A La Carte".

In keeping with my no welding theme, the braces are simple angle iron parts, cut/drilled/formed and then bolted in using Unistrut channel nuts. I don't have much experience making parts like this and it was enjoyable to practice some basic techniques.

20220212_154338.jpg

20220212_152301.jpg

Brace Fab.jpg

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting for my body guy to complete a project before he can start on my car, so I decided to start the process of paint removal. I had planned to leave this to my body guy but decided to do part of it. After considering sanding or chemical stripper I decided to try razor blading. Using single sided 1.5" wide x .009" thick razor blades and a heat gun, it seems to work quite well and cleanup is very easy. Anyone else tried this method? Here is a short video clip and a few pictures.

20220301_115122.jpg

20220220_113216.jpg

20220301_153110.jpg

20220220_125641.jpg

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Wow 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

I tried a large razor blade too. Then I tried a wide Harbor Freight wood chisel. It worked as well as the razor blade but was much easier on my hand.

Thanks Mark. Did you use heat? I mainly have been using the low setting on my heat gun.

5 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Thanks Mark. Did you use heat? I mainly have been using the low setting on my heat gun.

My first layer was spray can flat black. No heat used on that layer, just eye protection. I did use a heat gun and chisels on the base coat as well as stripper on the difficult to scrape areas.

• Thanks 1