IGNORED

Vibration dampener thingy

I find it hard to believe that's a factory part. The one in grannyknot's pic isn't lead. Lead doesn't rust. That looks like someone? bolted a thick steel plate to the car and started welding on more plate until they got the desired effect or gave up. That thing in the pic looks crude at best. Do they all look that bad?

21 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

I find it hard to believe that's a factory part. The one in grannyknot's pic isn't lead. Lead doesn't rust. That looks like someone? bolted a thick steel plate to the car and started welding on more plate until they got the desired effect or gave up. That thing in the pic looks crude at best. Do they all look that bad?

You have to read through that whole thread to realize that there was confusion about a retrofit, and a factory installed part.  The factory part is just steel.  Yes, they all look that bad.  I've seen many in the wrecking yards, and I have three.

Even Nissan tried to hide them, and only showed an edge.

image.png

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 5:09 AM, grannyknot said:

Does this crude looking thing actually work at quietening down the R200 diff? Wondering if I should reinstall?

IMG_0933.JPG

Just realized that yours has lost its bottom plate.  The countersink is actually a bigger hole in the the bottom plate (missing in your picture).  So it's broken and won't work anymore.  Better get a new one.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/axle/rear-suspension/83

https://www.courtesyparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=55418-N3701

19 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Just realized that yours has lost its bottom plate.  The countersink is actually a bigger hole in the the bottom plate (missing in your picture).  So it's broken and won't work anymore.  Better get a new one.

I think you are right ZH,  can you imagine the damage a 4"x7"x 3/8" steel plate could do the guy following behind when that thing fell off? So my damper is about a 1/3 lighter than most,  does that mean I can call it "custom tuned"?

Edited by grannyknot