IGNORED

We're bringin' back the Flat Tops!

motorman7

11 hours ago, 240Z73 said:

Rich where did you get the Tune-Up Emissions decal on the hood, 1973?

Got the emissions decal from Zedsaver.   Not sure if I am very happy with it, but also not sure about what other options are out there.  The material seems to be very thin and was difficult to work with.  Once applied, I used a credit card to smooth over the bubbles that were formed, moving them towards the edges (kind of like burping, I guess).  bubbles that remained and would not move out were popped with a pin, then smoothed with credit card.

Thanks for the information Rich.  I'm going to look into having some exact 1973 decals made.  As long as they have an adhesive backing, installing them would be very similar to installing window film.  Use a mild soapy solution, once positioned where you want it, use a firm rubber squeegee and there should be no bubbles (as long as you cleaned the lint and dust off).?

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 3:28 PM, Captain Obvious said:

Yeah, it's just glued on from the heat and the petrified old gasoline. Razor knife works well since you don't have to worry about ruining the old diaphragm. Don't bend the disks.

If you can't seem to get them apart and are worried about bending a disk, you can drop the whole thing into a sealed cup of carb cleaner. For a week.   LOL

Sorry to seem so dense, but I just want to be sure I understand correctly. The disks themselves don't really come apart (into 2 pieces) right? Ive pried on them a little but they seem to be machine pressed together. So you're saying to just remove the rubber from the old diaphragm and try to get the disk into the center of the new diaphragm? The new diaphragm doesn't seem like it will flex enough to go over the disk without tearing?

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

What he said. There are two completely separate (identical?) disks. I'll see if I can get a pic of the parts and post them.

Thanks, Capt and motorman! That's really helpful info because the disk doesn't SEEM like it comes apart and I was afraid I would bend it by prying on it too much. I'll try soaking it.